• 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

Did someone get lucky with this one?

1942-5 Sheaffer war-era Triumph...

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

Looks like you did !! ( or whoever o***n is..) Yet another 'bay bargain. What's "retail" on one of those ?

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

Looks like you did !! ( or whoever o***n is..) Yet another 'bay bargain. What's "retail" on one of those ?

Regards
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Assuming it is what it might be, I believe none ever has sold retail. Possibly none has ever been sold by a collector.

Keeps things interesting at least.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

ummmm, because the Triumph Autograph is cataloged only in black? Terrible photos, but clear enough to see the triple grooves on the otherwise smooth cap band.

Posted Image

Edited by matt, 11 October 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#5 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

David, just so that I'm clear: is it that you are implying that the band is *different* from the one in the photo I'm posting below? (The photos in the eBay listing are so bad that it is hard to tell if it is a smooth band or bad photo...)

Posted Image

Edited by JonSzanto, 11 October 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yes Jon, a plainer band indicates a solid gold one ( or Autograph). More of a surprise to me is that I seem to think I've seen this before.....as I instantly recognized it ...from Davids comments I probably haven't !! Is this "reverse" dementia ?

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, Hugh. Always learning.

#8 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

ummmm, because the Triumph Autograph is cataloged only in black? Terrible photos, but clear enough to see the triple grooves on the otherwise smooth cap band.

Posted Image

I remember saw it but simply ignore because of the terrible pictures and the seller only focusing on 14k nib !

Another lucky find, congratulations to the winner !

cc

#9 AeRoberto

AeRoberto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

I watched this pen, but it seemed to me the standard triumph, so I ignored it; still learning :rolleyes:.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

David, just so that I'm clear: is it that you are implying that the band is *different* from the one in the photo I'm posting below? (The photos in the eBay listing are so bad that it is hard to tell if it is a smooth band or bad photo...)

Hi Jon,

Yeah, the smooth band save for concentric rings at top and bottom is the tell.

"Catalogued" is a strong word in this context, as I suspect we have no catalogues from 1942-1946. Even a retrospective Sheaffer article (Sheaffer Review mag iirc) around 1950 does not show catalogues from those years. We have ads and we have 1947 and 1948 retrospective Sheaffer Workbooks to use.

However, until quite recently, the belief was that this "Autograph" (do we have ads calling it that?) was made only in black. IIRC< couple years ago Danny Kirchheimer (big focus on 1940's Sheaffers) reported these only in black.

I believe I posted the first of these in brown to be publicly cited. My friend Pat Mohan (extensive Sheaffer collection) promptly reviewed his holdings and noted he'd had one for awhile. These were the first two to be announced. Assuming this one proves true, this will be the third I've acquired

Here's a thread I started after finding my second of these

Sheaffer 1942-5 Triumph Autograph in Brown: my second

Even today, with collectable pendom a 35 year old hobby, there is stuff to learn.

regards

David

Posted Image

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

And for those who like gold-band Sheaffers, here is a bit of a monster thread about solid-gold-trim (Autograph) Sheaffers, with some significant photos.

Sheaffer Pens with Solid Gold Trim (Autograph): Lots of images of pens from several collections.

regards

david

Posted Image

#12 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thanks, David. Nothing better than someone else getting the pen and someone like me still getting something out of it! Congrats again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users