Photo

Sheaffer Autograph. Gold Trim. Scarce Variants, etc.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

Sheaffer's Balance is the second most prevalent pen in my own collection, following only Parker's Vacumatic. I enjoy finding better variants, especially those that were high-end back in the day and even more so the oddities and off-catalogue material. At the recent Raleigh pen show during June 2011, Pat Mohan and I showed what is without doubt the largest hoard of funky Balances ever presented in one place.

Some discussion of that (with more videos to follow I hope) can be seen here:

http://fountainpenbo...rue-prototypes/

I am fond of pens generally lumped under the Autograph line by Sheaffer, otherwise typical pens featuring solid 14 gold trim (usually cap-band and clip, sometimes just cap-band). These pens often cost in the $20 range when even the vaunted but otherwise typical oversize pens ran just $8 or so. These were not trivial purchases during the heart of the Great Depression.

Autograph goes back to early flat-top Sheaffers and can be found through at least the 1960's Sheaffer PFM (Pen For Men), and I'm lucky to have such pens spanning that range. Figured I'd toss a couple out for consideration. These two are (yeah, big shock) a bit special.

First is the only Sheaffer Autograph I've seen to feature 18k instead of 14k trim. We can speculate it was meant for European market, where- hearsay has it- that to be called "gold" the alloy had to be at least 18k. Not sure why such a pen then would not be Canadian (this pen is from USA) since Canada sent pens to Britain, but I do not know all the European import divisions, so perhaps pens to some countries would not benefit from the Canada-Britain connection. This is a standard size black/pearl Balance from around 1930

Posted Image

Second is a triple Autograph set, standard pen and pencil with matching golf pencil. This is the only Marine Green (mottled) Autograph golf pencil I've ever seen. I have vague recollection that David Nishimura offered up a black pencil of this sort previously.

Posted Image

I can post more Auotgraph shots in coming days/weeks, but would be interested in comments and in images (don't be shy) of other people's Sheaffer Autographs.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Never knew they came in 18K, I'll check mine and post a pic.
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#3 Michael Quitt

Michael Quitt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Great golf pencil!! They seem to be hard to find in the green pearl...let alone with 14kt trim. Well done!!
Michael Quitt
www.charmcitypens.com

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

Never knew they came in 18K, I'll check mine and post a pic.

Hi Pedro,

Do peek, though I'll be surprised if these turn up in casual fashion. I've seen only one. On other hand, finding reinforcement of that production trend would be a good thing :)

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

The only substantial European market where 18K was the rule was France. 14K was the norm in Germany, Italy, and Spain; it was dominant in the UK as well, where gold could be hallmarked down to 9K.

While Canadian-produced pens got a break on tariffs when exported to the UK, its colonies, and the Commonwealth, this did not apply (as far as I know) to other countries outside of the British sphere of influence. The US-brand pens one finds in France are predominantly US-made, even where the companies had Canadian factories.

I have seen a number of other French-market Sheaffers with 18K trim.

#6 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

When David showed the pen with the 18K trim at the Raleigh Pen Show session, it was the first time I could recall seeing a Sheaffer with 18K trim. I had seen a pretty wide variety, including 18K, in the solid gold pens that Sheaffer made. I did find the attached set with 10K trim in my collection. Sorry that you likely can't see the 10K markings on the set but my photo taking ability hasn't reached the level of being to get that kind of detail and still fall within the Board's well-conceived size limits.

Pat

Attached Files

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

When David showed the pen with the 18K trim at the Raleigh Pen Show session, it was the first time I could recall seeing a Sheaffer with 18K trim. I had seen a pretty wide variety, including 18K, in the solid gold pens that Sheaffer made. I did find the attached set with 10K trim in my collection. Sorry that you likely can't see the 10K markings on the set but my photo taking ability hasn't reached the level of being to get that kind of detail and still fall within the Board's well-conceived size limits.

Pat

H Pat

first 10carat I' ve seen. Very interesting find.

If you are up for it send me your high res shots or close up. Happy to do any necessary trm/crop/upload at my end.

email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

regards

d

Posted Image

#8 sexauerw

sexauerw

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

Here's the only Autograph that I own. Probably pretty ordinary, it's a Snorkel with cap band and clip both marked 14K.
Posted Image

#9 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

Posted Image

Like Bill said above, also in the ordinary category. A first model ( I used to say year until David Nishimura pointed out this is better..) snorkel and a couple of TM signatures although the burgundy ballpoint is fairly uncommon, it's the only on I've come across.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#10 haywoody

haywoody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:18 AM

I pulled my autographs out for a shot. I didn't realize I had so many but I think most are ordinary.

Posted Image

Left to right:

1. 1935 OS Balance vac-fill
2. Pre-war Triumph vac-fill set
3. Tuckaway set
4. Wartime Triumph lever-fill set
5. Wartime Triumph vac-fill in brown striated (maybe a bit out of the ordinary)
6. Triumph Touchdown set
7. PFM set (with incorrect blind cap)

/Woody

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:40 AM

I pulled my autographs out for a shot. I didn't realize I had so many but I think most are ordinary.

Left to right:

dnip

/Woody

Keep this up, n' yer gonna make me put my Autographs in tray.

Don't say I didna warn ya... ;)

-d

Posted Image

#12 haywoody

haywoody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:04 AM

Keep this up, n' yer gonna make me put my Autographs in tray.

Don't say I didna warn ya... ;)

-d

I dare ya!

/Woody

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

I dare ya!

/Woody

Well... if you insist.

No time yet to pull my Autograph and solid-gold cap/barrel 1940s-50's stuff yet. So I pulled the flat top and Balance pens. I have some more, including at least one exotic variant, but a quick peek yielded the following. Probably more pics or close ups to follow as my computer restoration improves (I still don't have Photoshop running).

This isn't the worst spread out there...

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#14 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

Red Veined Gray Pearl Autograph. OoooooooooOooooo...

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#15 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

Oh, I may have something to add. I've been busy, anyway... David, these should be good for starters - I got hard rubber ones too but, are they autographs or wide bands?

Roger W.

Posted Image
The Coral is non catalog and the second black is a thin auto, then 85's and 89's - the K's are rare.

Posted Image
I was taking the pics near the desk and recalled the box there had something nice. Something really nice actually a red veined fishscale set.

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

Oh, I may have something to add. I've been busy, anyway... David, these should be good for starters - I got hard rubber ones too but, are they autographs or wide bands?

Roger W.

The Coral is non catalog and the second black is a thin auto, then 85's and 89's - the K's are rare.

I was taking the pics near the desk and recalled the box there had something nice. Something really nice actually a red veined fishscale set.

Great pens Roger, but most of the Balances and that orange flat-top are not Autograph, right? At least not solid gold bands...

regards

david

Posted Image

#17 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Great pens Roger, but most of the Balances and that orange flat-top are not Autograph, right? At least not solid gold bands...

regards

david

David;

Ooops. The orange one merely has initials on a non 14K band. I was thinking bands that got personalized not 14K. So only the marine green was 14K and I have my daily one I forgot to photo. I'll put up the HR stuff later as well.

Roger W.

#18 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

I just love it when you post pens I have never seen. Please keep it up!
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#19 sexauerw

sexauerw

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:34 AM

I just picked up this set on eBay, an Imperial IV Autograph FP-MP set. Not mint, it's definitely user grade but the pen is a really sweet smooth writer and the pencil works perfectly. The price was appropriate and the set did include the original box and papers.
Posted Image

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

I just picked up this set on eBay, an Imperial IV Autograph FP-MP set. Not mint, it's definitely user grade but the pen is a really sweet smooth writer and the pencil works perfectly. The price was appropriate and the set did include the original box and papers.

That's a nice set, Bill.

I'll move things back to the 1930's with this "late" flat-top in Jade, Autograph. Grand color. Gold-filled clip noted.

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users