8 replies to this topic

#1 Titivillus

Titivillus

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

I collected about 2 dozen wax seals and a bunch of different wax sticks. Over time and several accidents/ annoyances with the amount of soot produced with candles or lighters I sort of gave up on using the stuff. Well my nephew came to town and went to a local cigar store & I asked if he could pick up a torch lighter.

Well he did and the darn thing makes sealing a treat! The focused heat and a little waving around of the wax through the flame just produces a pure clean puddle of wax that is cool enough to seal immediately.

I should say that the wax I use is the olde style shellac stuff not the more modern plastic.

#2 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

Kurt,

Thanks for the tip. I never really minded the black carbon swirl in the seal or soot, but I like knowing that a pure color can be had. Will need to pick up a torch for this purpose.

Regards,
George

#3 Parker Quink Turquoise

Parker Quink Turquoise

journeyman

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia,Canada

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

From time to time I use Herbin Supple Sealing Wax on my letters.It works well and lasts going through the mail.Sometime most other sealing waxes I have tried do not do well.:)

Are there others who use sealing wax on their letters?

Edited by Parker Quink Turquoise, 29 April 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#4 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

From time to time I use Herbin Supple Sealing Wax on my letters.It works well and lasts going through the mail.Sometime most other sealing waxes I have tried do not do well.:)

Are there others who use sealing wax on their letters?

I don't usually because of the bother with the melting and then they come off in the mail. However, Sam from Pendemonium is going to have some of the flexible stuff that she sells that is applied with a glue gun, so I'm going to buy that and give it a go. Supposedly it goes through the mail ok.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#5 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

I got the rods from Pendemonium and tried them in a little glue gun. It's a lot easier to use than sealing wax or the previous flexible sealing wax I had that required flame, and there isn't the soot from the flame like on the others. These seem really flexible, so I have hopes that they'll make it through the mail. I've written a couple of test notes to people, one locally and one across the country. I'll report back on how it works out.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#6 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

One more update. The seal on the letter sent locally went through just fine and arrived intact. Still waiting to hear on the one sent to Florida.

John Danza

#7 Parker Quink Turquoise

Parker Quink Turquoise

journeyman

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

One more update. The seal on the letter sent locally went through just fine and arrived intact. Still waiting to hear on the one sent to Florida.

Any news on how the one sent to Florida arrived?

#8 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

Any news on how the one sent to Florida arrived?

Thanks for the reminder. The seal made it to Florida intact. The initials on it had been scraped somewhat, but it was in decent shape. I think they ended up as good as any and better than most.

John Danza

#9 Parker Quink Turquoise

Parker Quink Turquoise

journeyman

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thank-you for the update,John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users