Photo

Some days you're the bug, some days the windshield....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

In a "bug" incident, we had to stop at an auto parts store on the way to the LI show. That turned out fine, but delayed us enough that we would have hit the NYC rush hour traffic, so decided to dwaddle a bit to delay hitting the GW bridge. So we went into a small antique mall.... and found this gem. It's really clean, with a medium flex nib.

Posted Image

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#2 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

I consider myself to not be a fan of post hard rubber Waterman's, but I would certainly have snatched that up! Wow. That's just stunning.

Tim
(suddenly rethinking Waterman...)
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

In a "bug" incident, we had to stop at an auto parts store on the way to the LI show. That turned out fine, but delayed us enough that we would have hit the NYC rush hour traffic, so decided to dwaddle a bit to delay hitting the GW bridge. So we went into a small antique mall.... and found this gem. It's really clean, with a medium flex nib.

This is a not insignificant find. The red/gold does not turn up so often, and when it does it often is not in great shape.

Waterman 1930's-- despite the presence of the "vaunted" Patrician-- tends to have smaller following than Sheaffer and Parker, though the smaller number of pens today results in prices today being competitive with those other two makes. Perhaps the frequent shift in models, the multilple models not always so well connected in look and style gives smaller stimulus to collecting than does the overwhelming number of Duofolds, Vacs and Balances tied together by similar look within each series. Or... who knows?

The 92 is well made slender pen. Offers some interesting colors. When first I found a red/bronze, I thought this to be a Canadian model as there are some non-USA 92's in interesting finishes. Subsequently I've seen USA made pens in this color and might've seen a USA catalogue page for it. I had chance to examine Ron's set. It is quite clean. A lucky find no doubt.

Here is a 92 in a green/gold color similar to, but not quite, same pattern as used by Wahl.

Posted Image

Here is an English only (?) 92 in helically wrapped "Golden Web" plastic with barrel bands.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

Cool.

Tim

#5 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

Now THAT color pops!
Great find in the wild, Ron!:D

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#6 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

I'm a fat pen guy, but I really like the 92s. Nice snag Ron.

Don't forget the Christmas color-

Posted Image
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#7 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

But you look kinda thin in your avatar picture, John. I never would have guessed.

Tim
(Sorry, I just can't help it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users