#22 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:16 AM

You've got one day left to chase this beauty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170914673889

Minor damage to the wood in the back, but the paint is pretty decent.

Posted Image

#23 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

You've got one day left to chase this beauty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170914673889

Minor damage to the wood in the back, but the paint is pretty decent.

Posted Image

I like the places for the ink bottles, cool integrated design.

#24 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

I'm resurrecting this thread because I finally acquired a Parker desk lamp, and it arrived today. It's in really nice shape, with two issue noted. First, the lamp itself is off-center, which I think I can fix by getting inside of it and loosening the arms so they'll turn a bit (if anyone knows if this isn't correct thinking, please let me know.). Second, one of the decorative bars from the lamp shade itself is missing, which I think is pretty common. Otherwise, the lamp works and it's got most of its original finish. I'm happy to leave it as is, add a bottle of ink, and put it on display.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#25 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

John, if you take the base plate off, you should find that the tubes are held in place with a star lock washer and a thin jam nut. You should also be able to align the square at the base of the tubes.

#26 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

John, that's a nice lamp. You might be able to make a replacement for that missing trim piece if you can get it off of the lamp and make a mold of it.

#27 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

John, if you take the base plate off, you should find that the tubes are held in place with a star lock washer and a thin jam nut. You should also be able to align the square at the base of the tubes.

Thanks Matt. I just looked at the auction photos again and the tubes look aligned, so this must have happened during shipping. So I'm even more optimistic about being able to return it to normal.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#28 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

John, where is your on-off switch? Does the base look like the photo in posting #10 above and is the hole on the back where the toggle switch was? Originals were brass & they all seem to be chrome plated today....

Edited by matt, 10 January 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#29 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Here is the only one of these I have seen. The shade and the pole are bothed etched, copper perhaps. It has two streamlined sockets. As you can see it is very dark, and I am loathe to polish it and perhaps ruin the etching. Any thoughtsPosted Image

#30 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Here is the only one of these I have seen. The shade and the pole are bothed etched, copper perhaps. It has two streamlined sockets. As you can see it is very dark, and I am loathe to polish it and perhaps ruin the etching. Any thoughtsPosted Image

Do NOT polish it. It looks beautiful with the patina that's on it. It's nice and dark and even.

#31 loudkenny

loudkenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Here's another I just picked up from eBay.

Posted Image

I want!!! Does it come with two penholders? :)

Are electrical parts still readily available for these lamps?

ken

Edited by loudkenny, 11 January 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#32 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

John, where is your on-off switch? Does the base look like the photo in posting #10 above and is the hole on the back where the toggle switch was? Originals were brass & they all seem to be chrome plated today....

Hi Matt,

You can see the switch in the second photo I posted. It's a round switch that turns one way to turn it on or off, but it will turn the opposite direction but does nothing but click lightly, so it's a "one-way" switch.

John Danza

#33 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hi Brian
No I would not polish it. The thing is it is so dark it is hard to see the pattern. Are you familiar with the lamp? Do you know what the metal or process was?

#34 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

1357886408[/url]' post='21797']

1357857350[/url]' post='21784']

Hi Matt,

You can see the switch in the second photo I posted. It's a round switch that turns one way to turn it on or off, but it will turn the opposite direction but does nothing but click lightly, so it's a "one-way" switch.

The photo I referenced shows a toggle switch on the back of the base where you have a hole. Your switch location is more convenient.

#35 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I want!!! Does it come with two penholders? :)

Are electrical parts still readily available for these lamps?

ken

I don't know if this type of bulb is still readily available or not. This is not a fluorescent lamp.

Posted Image

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 12 January 2013 - 04:23 AM.

#36 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

Looks like a medium base tubular incandescent lamp. Does it have a wattage on it? You might want to try one of those lighting stores with a gazillion light fixtures and lamps hanging everywhere.

For what it's worth I restored my Sheaffer desk lamp but used two strips of ultrabright LED lights because I wanted to use it at my repair bench and be able to dim it. The lamp was trashed when I found it so I knew there was really no point in my historically restoring it. I would post a photo but this is a Parker thread ;-)

--greg

#37 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

For what it's worth I restored my Sheaffer desk lamp but used two strips of ultrabright LED lights because I wanted to use it at my repair bench and be able to dim it. The lamp was trashed when I found it so I knew there was really no point in my historically restoring it. I would post a photo but this is a Parker thread ;-)
--greg

Greg, that's a fantastic restoration job! I want to get my hands on a trashed lamp, too, so I can do my own unique restoration.

The bulb on my blue-green lamp is still good, so I'm not particularly worried about a replacement yet, but I appreciate the information on it.

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 18 January 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#38 loudkenny

loudkenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Those bulbs are found in most hardware stores, and also in pet stores. I think I saw a 'LED alternative' bulb the same shape and size in a 'big box' pet shop in the small fish tank area.

Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users