Photo

Waterman Ink-Vue 1930's true Demonstrator.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

Recently picked up a 1930's Waterman Ink-Vue Demonstrator. Grand pen. We actually have Waterman documentation for it, though I must dig up the Pen Prophet (Waterman period literature) that shows it. True Demonstrators essentially are one-in-a-thousand pens, as generally a store acquired one to use along with the oodles of regular pens it so sold for years. This thing is far rarer than the better known Parker 51 and Sheaffer Snorkel demos. All I've seen have at least a yellow cast to the celluloid, and I don't know offhand if this represents the typical early ambering seen to clear celluloid or if the pens were made with that bit of a yellow tint.

I've seen maybe 5-6 of these in thirteen years collecting, counting retail websites, 80 pen shows attended, ebay hunted daily... with the caveats of course that I might overlook some and that my memory might not be perfect ;)

I've not yet cleaned and flushed this one, but figured I'd share it. There even is a surprise in the last image.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Awesome David! Without getting into the scarcity vs value debate, I can appreciate the rarity of these types of pens (especially with a sticker!). The Ink Vue demos are particularly interesting to me because they show how Waterman was trying to reinvent themselves; trying to stay in competition with Parker and their Vacumatic filling system.

Take a look at this 5116 Demo from David Nishimura's site for added Ink Vue demo awesomeness:

http://www.vintagepe...?id=9351&pics=8

Regards,
George

#3 csikora

csikora

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

These really are good lookin' pens. I stumbled upon one sometime last year and just haven't gotten around to getting it restored. The example I have is fitted with a Purple nib...is this common to the others?
Far too much to do...

Posted Image

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

These really are good lookin' pens. I stumbled upon one sometime last year and just haven't gotten around to getting it restored. The example I have is fitted with a Purple nib...is this common to the others?
Far too much to do...

Posted Image

Nice one.

Not sure on the purple nib. Vague recollection is that Ink-Vue does turn up with keyhole nibs, sometimes with color markings. Whether intended for this mid 1930's series or leftovers from slightly earlier (overlapping?) Waterman #7 ripple then plastic, i cannot say. I'm not sure I've seen hard listings for start and stop dates of many Waterman 1930's pens. For example Patrician often is considered an early 1930's product as is Waterman 94, but I have a 1937 ad that shows both, even though Waterman was well into the Ink-Vue era. Certainly a #7 Keyhole nib in a color carries more value than a generic mid 1930's nib.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Just adding to the mix, my early Silver Ray has a red keyhole nib but others I have seen have had a variety of round hole, heart hole and the keyhole type nibs without colour imprint.

#6 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

I got a mint, uninked silver ray, keyhole nib, no color assigned to the nib. unfortunately, it ain't no stinkin demonstrator. :unsure:

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

I got a mint, uninked silver ray, keyhole nib, no color assigned to the nib. unfortunately, it ain't no stinkin demonstrator. :unsure:

Uninked... works for me. I've seen these with round vent hole nibs too. Have sneaky suspicion these were around long enough to have more than one nib style be acceptable or correct.

So, since I've shown the Demo... I wonder if it is time to pull the image of the Waterman Ink-Vue Fetus Pen, tragically miscarried before completing gestation. The only one I've ever seen.

-d

Posted Image

#8 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

Huh?
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Huh?

I might need more than that to answer ;)

-d

Posted Image

#10 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

I might need more than that to answer ;)

-d

"Fetus pen" ?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

"Fetus pen" ?

Tim

Aye, verily.

Poor thing didn't make it full term. Only one I've ever seen.

-d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users