20 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

This one is not perfect though it is quite decent. Solid 14k gold Sheaffer Triumph Masterpiece 1942-1945.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Come on, David. Don't leave us hanging. Where's the nib shot? :)

#3 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

I haven't seen that chasing pattern before. Pretty cool!

Tim

The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

With the matching pencil...

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIn the land of Oz

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Come on, David. Don't leave us hanging. Where's the nib shot? :)

Yes nib shot please!

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:44 AM

Yes nib shot please!

Sigh... ;)

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#7 Gerry Berg

Gerry Berg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Beautiful set, David. Bravo!

Now: how about the plunger-filling version?

Gerry

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Now, you might have wondered what's in the nice Sheaffer case that serves as a staging prop in many of these photos. Well, the contents keep with the Masterpiece theme of this thread. At the Raleigh Pen Show 2010 (btw- this sort is another reason why it is good to go to pen shows), I won in the auction the following Sheaffer Crest Masterpiece set. Crest Masterpiece indicates solid gold cap on plastic barrel. This is a post-war 1940's model. Note that it actually has a white dot in the cap. This is a late development, as pens before perhaps late 1948 had the dot at the bottom of the barrel. We believe that Sheaffer did not have the technique to place dots in caps before 1948. This one has a bezel/frame of metal around the dot indicating an early dot-in-cap cap, perhaps dating it to 1948. Later caps had dot directly inserted. Don't hold me to the dates. This is a sweet set. The engraving, celebrating a man's 36-years at a single bank, hearkens to a bygone era, when people actually worked for a single employer that long.

Enjoy...

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Beautiful set, David. Bravo!

Now: how about the plunger-filling version?

Gerry

Was it so made?

regards

david

Posted Image

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Now, you might have wondered what's in the nice Sheaffer case that serves as a staging prop in many of these photos. Well, the contents keep with the Masterpiece theme of this thread. At the Raleigh Pen Show 2010 (btw- this sort is another reason why it is good to go to pen shows), I won in the auction the following Sheaffer Crest Masterpiece set. Crest Masterpiece indicates solid gold cap on plastic barrel. This is a post-war 1940's model. Note that it actually has a white dot in the cap. This is a late development, as pens before perhaps late 1948 had the dot at the bottom of the barrel. We believe that Sheaffer did not have the technique to place dots in caps before 1948. This one has a bezel/frame of metal around the dot indicating an early dot-in-cap cap, perhaps dating it to 1948. Later caps had dot directly inserted. Don't hold me to the dates. This is a sweet set. The engraving, celebrating a man's 36-years at a single bank, hearkens to a bygone era, when people actually worked for a single employer that long.

Oh yeah... open...

Posted Image

regards

d

Posted Image

#11 Gerry Berg

Gerry Berg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

Was it so made?

regards

david

I wonder.
g

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

I wonder.
g

Dunno. Have seen several Masterpieces from this era, all lever fill. Have to peek at the Workbook but most vague recollection is having seen lever filler mentioned alone. Could be wrong.

-d

Posted Image

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

OK.

Above, I've shown the 1942-45 Masterpiece (full gold pen) and a late 1940's post-War Crest Masterpiece (gold cap) set, that one with white dot on cap not on barrel (a late development) but with the white dot in a bezel, not directly implanted in the smooth metal of the cap, which would come next.

The following pen also is a Crest Masterpiece with gold cap. This one is post War but is a bit earlier in the late 1940's than the Crest Masterpiece above. This one has the white dot on bottom of the black barrel rather than on the cap.

Oh yeah... condition not so bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

Moving back from Crest Masterpiece (solid gold cap with plastic barrel) to Masterpiece (all solid gold, as with the 1942-5 model shown in the first post), here is a post-War 1945-1948 (still before Sheaffer could put the White DOt in the metal cap) Masterpiece. Picked up my first about 3 years ago and since then have fallen into a few of 'em. The post-War Masterpiece has less exotic pattern than the War-era pen, and is chunkier.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#15 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

With the matching pencil...

Posted Image

regards

David

Gotta say...this is one of the nicest sets I've seen since Roger showed me his Honor pen. This one is HOT!

MK

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:03 PM

We've now seen a few 1940's Sheaffer Masterpiece family pens from my ol' collection.

War Years Masterpiece

Post War Crest Masterpiece

Post War Masterpiece.

I add now... War Years Crest Masterpiece. This is the solid gold cap with plastic barrel pen made 1942-5. Tim had mentioned not having seen this chasing pattern before. That no doubt is because these pens don't turn up so often ;) This is the typical chasing for this pen found on the cap for Crest Masterpiece and of course on the entire pen for Masterpiece. I bought this pen a couple years ago, probably at a Raleigh Pen Show, from my friend Terry Brack. We've been hanging out at pen shows since, oh, 2002 or so, have roomed at a couple and have traded pens back and forth. He now runs the Long Island Pen Show, a fun show.

Did I mention this pen is in pretty nice shape?

Crest Masterpiece... the War Years...

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#17 haywoody

haywoody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

snip...

I add now... War Years Crest Masterpiece. This is the solid gold cap with plastic barrel pen made 1942-5. Tim had mentioned not having seen this chasing pattern before. That no doubt is because these pens don't turn up so often ;) This is the typical chasing for this pen found on the cap for Crest Masterpiece and of course on the entire pen for Masterpiece. I bought this pen a couple years ago, probably at a Raleigh Pen Show, from my friend Terry Brack. We've been hanging out at pen shows since, oh, 2002 or so, have roomed at a couple and have traded pens back and forth. He now runs the Long Island Pen Show, a fun show.

Did I mention this pen is in pretty nice shape?

Crest Masterpiece... the War Years...

regards

David

Very nice. I bought one from Terry at the Raleigh show this year. How about a picture of the Brown Crest Masterpiece set you recently acquired?

/Woody

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

Very nice. I bought one from Terry at the Raleigh show this year. How about a picture of the Brown Crest Masterpiece set you recently acquired?

/Woody

Hi Woody,

Sure, pulled the image from the other post. Didn't want to annoy you though.

Link- Discussion of possible frankenpen Masterpiece.

A recent acquisition. A War-Era Crest Masterpiece (solid gold cap). Possibly a frankenpen with brown barrels from a regular Crest, as most Crest Masterpiece are shown only in black. But, we lack hard concurrent catalogue data for the war-years pens, so... it is a bit open. In any case, black barrels are not hard to obtain.

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

I've shown all the 1940's Gold Cap/Barrel (Crest Masterpiece and Crest) models and variants I have on hand (at least i believe so). This one is a duplicate, but it is a killer duplicate. First, in its wrappings, as I found it in somewhat weak ebay ad.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:17 AM

And open.

The mint Masterpiece set. Stunner. 1940's post-war, probably 1946-7.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users