3 replies to this topic

#1 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

A week ago today I flew down to San Diego with my two oldest sons (21 and 17) to go to Comic Con. We only had passes for Thursday and Friday, but weren't coming home until Sunday... so while the boys hung out with their four friends who were there with us, Daddy got to go treasure hunting. I picked up two Sheaffer's: a Carmine Milady lever filler with the Feather Touch 5 nib (1940 or so from what I've been able to dig up) and a black and pearl Lifetime (1928-ish, I believe). The latter is my first Sheaffer flat top, as well as my oldest Sheaffer so far, beating out my red veined gray pearl long slender Balance ('09 Father's Day present from my wonderful daughter) by presumably several years at least. The former pen isn't a model that would generally jump at (though the shorter clip, which appears to be the same one that's on the early Triumphs with the really wide bands, looks cool), but I have a strong affinity to Carmine. Sadly, there's no 'Blue Striated'... so Carmine is my favorite Sheaffer color of that era. Anyway, the ink-view section has good clarity, which is a big plus for me, though it has so far resisted all my efforts to extract it from the barrel. It'll come loose eventually though.

I'll post some pics once I get 'em ready to go.
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#2 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

where did you guys go? there are some nice antique shops in ocean beach and la mesa, nearby. it was in ocean beach where i found an onyx waterman patrician in great shape ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#3 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Prompted by a Yellow Pages add I initially went to Solana Beach to "the largest antique mall in San Diego County"... which turned out to be a bit of a disappointment (though I did pick up the Carmine pen there). I really wished that I hadn't wasted the driving time because I didn't make it to La Mesa until after 3:00, so I only made it to a few shops. I heard Ocean Beach mentioned, but never made it there at all. I guess I'll know where to go next time.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#4 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

hmm, never been to that solana place. will check that out next time ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users