• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:35 AM

I have a number of 51 caps that are pretty decent, excepting for a slight 'clip ring'. Any tips on a quick and simple way of removing these?

Paul

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

I have a number of 51 caps that are pretty decent, excepting for a slight 'clip ring'. Any tips on a quick and simple way of removing these?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm not a repair guy, but as the seller with highest volume on the internet for old Parker 51's, I have some familiarity with getting the things up and running, and have the pleasure to deal with some of the best restorers out there.

A mild score mark from clip-ball movement against cap is not a severe flaw. However, it is nontrivial in some cases to fix.

For a smooth-surface area of a gold-filled cap (such as heritage cap) or on a steel cap specifically that already had lost most of its native frost, a light polishing often will solve problem.

HOWEVER (you knew there had to be a "however")...

For steel caps in (ironically) better shape, with original frost preserved, the score mark cannot be polished away, as this will remove the surrounding frost. One can accept that, but- frankly- I'd rather have a frosty cap with bit of score mark than a cap with big patch of frost removed (which exaggerates the score mark) or all the frost removed just to make the look consistent.

Sterling caps (usually lined) start with white rhodium plating. Score mark often gets down to the raw silver. Polishing that can remove more of the rhodium, a bad thing. If cap already has lost all rhodium, then perhaps a light polishing can work.

The key option for a steel (lustraloy) cap with big score mark is to refrost the cap. There are various scratch-buff and bead-blast techniques, depending on era and type of native frost. There are very few refrosters who get a good original look, though everyone and his brother these days seems to want to try to refrost caps. Often the look is not so good. Not to knock anyone else (as I am not up on every last restorer doing these), but Kirchheimer and Zorn do nice job with these. I have a private restorer (doing so far 51's only for me, at his request) who does superb work, but until he tells me he wants to go public, his name stays private.

Refrosting can run $30+.

My thought is that a light score, save for a rare steel cap (there are not that many) is not a big deal.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users