3 replies to this topic

#1 BamaPen

BamaPen

journeyman

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

I have a white dot snorkel desk pen that I actually purchased for its nib, but now have an urge to return to service. It does not appear to have ever been used, but I need to remove the touchdown tube because it and the spring seem to be a bit rusty and the spring does not want to hold the snorkel assembly in its extended position. Unfortunately, I've been unable to unscrew the little screw that holds the TD tube to the blind cap. I simply cannot turn it at all. I don't want to try too hard for fear of stripping the slot and leaving myself without a way to remove it.

What shall I try?

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:00 AM

These are a right royal pain in the tush.... and that's being kind. You will need to clean off the rust, drag a dental pick through the slot, soak it with some sort of penetrating oil (Rust Buster or Liquid Wrench, not PB Blaster). Then make sure that the blade of the screw driver lines up with the slot, put the blind cap on the bench, tap the screwdriver with a hammer, and hope that it loosens things enough that the screw will shift. Plan on replacing the screw. Worst case, replace either the blind cap, the TD tube, or both.

Use a wire wheel in a Dremel to clean off the rust on the spring. An Xacto knife #11 handle is just the right size to hold the spring while cleaning. Do the inside too.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#3 BamaPen

BamaPen

journeyman

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

Thanks Ron. I think my first move is to find a longer thin screwdriver. My jeweler's screwdriver is just barely long enough to reach the screw and I can't really get a good grip in this situation. My screwdrivers that are long enough have a blade that is just a bit too wide and won't fit down into the screw slot. Maybe a little grinding is in order...

#4 BamaPen

BamaPen

journeyman

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

Success! Since the last post, I dribbled in some LaBelle lubricant that is safe for plastics (from my model railroad supplies) and left it to soak. Today, after six weeks of soaking, I decided to try again, and the screw came loose. I was then able to disassemble everything, clean it up, and reassemble a working pen. Thanks for the suggestions here and on FPN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users