11 replies to this topic

#1 sara s.

sara s.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

Hello everyone,

Greeings from Columbus, Ohio! As a Columbus resident, it's far too easy for me to attend the
Ohio Pen Show, which was held this weekend...This was my fourth year there and I was really tired this year. But somehow I ended up with a lot of energy and some new pens anyway, including a beautiful large green Parker Duofold Geometric/Toothbrush that I bought from David Isaacson today.

I hope I'll be able to participate here even though I'm relatively ignorant of the technical aspects and much of the history of fountain pens. I do have a small collection that I began building in about 1994 that includes vintage Sheaffers, Watermans, Moores, Conklins, Wahls, Parkers, Esterbrooks,and an Edward Todd; I also have six modern Sailors, a sterling Namiki Crane and Vanishing Point, a Cartier Mini-Diabolo, three Nakaya, and a Bexley Dragon. I like pens from the 20s and 30s, more often than not small pens/ringtops, I also like gold-filled pens and overlays. I'm thinking of selling some of my perns because I don't use them all and could use the money!

My current grails are: a gold-filled Parker Lucky Curve I saw at this show but couldn't afford today, a Waterman Olive Ripple ringtop on the Vintage Pens Website, and a small Columbus that Pendelton Brown had there today that seemed to work well with my handwriting.

So I've prattled on enough. I look forward to being a member here.

Sara

#2 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

Hello everyone,

Greeings from Columbus, Ohio! As a Columbus resident, it's far too easy for me to attend the
Ohio Pen Show, which was held this weekend...This was my fourth year there and I was really tired this year. But somehow I ended up with a lot of energy and some new pens anyway, including a beautiful large green Parker Duofold Geometric/Toothbrush that I bought from David Isaacson today.

I hope I'll be able to participate here even though I'm relatively ignorant of the technical aspects and much of the history of fountain pens. I do have a small collection that I began building in about 1994 that includes vintage Sheaffers, Watermans, Moores, Conklins, Wahls, Parkers, Esterbrooks,and an Edward Todd; I also have six modern Sailors, a sterling Namiki Crane and Vanishing Point, a Cartier Mini-Diabolo, three Nakaya, and a Bexley Dragon. I like pens from the 20s and 30s, more often than not small pens/ringtops, I also like gold-filled pens and overlays. I'm thinking of selling some of my perns because I don't use them all and could use the money!

My current grails are: a gold-filled Parker Lucky Curve I saw at this show but couldn't afford today, a Waterman Olive Ripple ringtop on the Vintage Pens Website, and a small Columbus that Pendelton Brown had there today that seemed to work well with my handwriting.

Sara

G'day [from DownUnder] and welcome

I too am ignorant of much of the history of many pens and companies, but find myself encouraged to find out more, and learn much from the guru's that dwell within the corridors of this Board.

A friend mob indeed.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#3 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

.............I like pens from the 20s and 30s, more often than not small pens/ringtops, I also like gold-filled pens and overlays..................

Sara

Sounds like you are describing exactly my main collection! I have over 400 small pens & sets (probably about 70% are ringtops, plenty of overlays too including solid sterling silver and 9ct gold), mostly Conway Stewart Dinkies & Dandys from the 1920s & 30s but also other English brands. CS Dinkies are a true reflection of that era in the most wondeful casein colours, so if you want to bone up on some detailed history, they are the things to look at. Did I mention I have a book in preparation chronicling the 50 year rise and fall of the Dinkie from 1922 to 1972?! Watch this space!

Andy

PS there are a few sample pictures in my 'British Vintage pens' area of the members' gallery

#4 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Sara: was the small Pendleton pen a green celluloid Columbus Academia?
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#5 sara s.

sara s.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Pedro: I'm remembering the Columbus as a burgundy color but my memory may not always serve me well! and green would work for me. It was a very fine, smooth lovely (cursive?) italic nib, which I don't always find. It could be an Academia. Are you familiar with it?

Sara

#6 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

I have one! It has a lovely nib with the Ace of Spades symbol on the gold nib, on green celluloid that smells like camphor. I will have to take a pic for you to see. Since it has not been used for a long time, it needs a new home.
wink, wink ;)
Pedro

#7 sara s.

sara s.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

I have one! It has a lovely nib with the Ace of Spades symbol on the gold nib, on green celluloid that smells like camphor. I will have to take a pic for you to see. Since it has not been used for a long time, it needs a new home.
wink, wink ;)

Hmmmmm.... don't tempt me! What sort of nib does it have?

#8 sara s.

sara s.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Sounds like you are describing exactly my main collection! I have over 400 small pens & sets (probably about 70% are ringtops, plenty of overlays too including solid sterling silver and 9ct gold), mostly Conway Stewart Dinkies & Dandys from the 1920s & 30s but also other English brands. CS Dinkies are a true reflection of that era in the most wondeful casein colours, so if you want to bone up on some detailed history, they are the things to look at. Did I mention I have a book in preparation chronicling the 50 year rise and fall of the Dinkie from 1922 to 1972?! Watch this space!

Andy

PS there are a few sample pictures in my 'British Vintage pens' area of the members' gallery

Nice photos!

Wow, 800 pens! I figure I have about 60-70 pens, and most I don't use, which Is why I'm thinking of finding new homes for many of them.

Sara

#9 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

Hmmmmm.... don't tempt me! What sort of nib does it have?

I believe it is a fine italic. I'll have to check and take pics. Enjoy the forum!
Pedro

#10 sara s.

sara s.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

I believe it is a fine italic. I'll have to check and take pics. Enjoy the forum!

Do provide photos - and price. And writing sample?

Thanks,

Sara

#11 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Sorry, I can not locate the pen. Posted Image
Pedro

#12 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Hello everyone,

Sara

Welcome to the form Sara! You will find folks here very friendly, and you will enjoy the photos, plus information that is available here.

Greg Minuskin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users