#21 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hi Rick,

Too add (or subtract, if I'm off on this) to the arts-and-crafts element of this chat, we have seen over the years boxes done as below. Some look to be faux skin. Shark Skin i believe is called shagreen, and some 51 boxes in patterns that mimic this are called faux-shagreen. Not sure if the term applies to boxes like the oen below. There should be some term for fancy paper boxes. Below your box, I show a lifted image of some actual shagreen. Any input from those more in-the-know is invited.

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#22 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hi Rick,

Too add (or subtract, if I'm off on this) to the arts-and-crafts element of this chat, we have seen over the years boxes done as below. Some look to be faux skin. Shark Skin i believe is called shagreen, and some 51 boxes in patterns that mimic this are called faux-shagreen. Not sure if the term applies to boxes like the oen below. There should be some term for fancy paper boxes. Below your box, I show a lifted image of some actual shagreen. Any input from those more in-the-know is invited.

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

david

This type of paper covering on boxes show up on Parkers as early as the early 1920s, sometimes with "Lucky Curve" on the box or sometimes housing an early Duofold set. I showed one in one of my posts on this thread earlier up. You also see this on the traveling desk sets from the late 1920s to the early-to-mid 1930s, as shown below.

Posted Image

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#23 Dan in NYC

Dan in NYC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hey, do try putting the images in GALLERY. Then they can be pasted full sized into the thread and can be saved at length.

regards

david
[/quote]
David, how is it done, I had the same issue few days ago?. My picture is in Gallery (Waterman Safety feed system) but could not place a larger image with the text. I searched for instructions and could not find any references.

Best Regards

Dan

#24 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

David, how is it done, I had the same issue few days ago?. My picture is in Gallery (Waterman Safety feed system) but could not place a larger image with the text. I searched for instructions and could not find any references.

Best Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

This post (pinned in the News/Greeting Forum) covers making/using Album.

http://www.fountainp...he-gallery-tab/

Of note, if you clone the BBC CODE (one line of text from the "share image" section of your Album Page) directly into your post (you don't need to use the Photo Icon, as the BBC code inclludes the key tags), your image should appear in-line at full size.

Hope we can see more of your pics.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#25 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

the picture David shows looks to be stingray, or faux stingray.

the box John has with the traveling set, is lizard?

mine is a floral/tree type print

#26 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

the box John has with the traveling set, is lizard?

I agree, a faux lizard or faux snakeskin I guess. Definitely faux however.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#27 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Shagreen looks more like this, but this is ceramic....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150921833718

Posted Image

Edited by matt, 11 October 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#28 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

An uncommon 51 box No. 276.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users