9 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Happy to have returned from the Ohio Pen Show (Nov 2011) with a great spread of old pens. Unfortunately so many of them are of interest to me that my personal collection might be growing more than the planned "couple" pens I like to add each show. Of course that seems to happen at, well, every show. Sigh.

Wahl Doric. 2nd Generation-- "shell" color era, mid-late 1930's-- economy (non-gold-seal) model in green/emerald. Gorgeous pen. But, typical cap-band as documented is a thin open-work thing. I've seen couple before like the following, with wide solid cap-band. Off-catalogue and tbomk undocumented. Not sure there has been any discussion online ever of this variant, but with all the babble online, I could be wrong.

This is a wee gem. Scarce. Beautiful. A classic from the 1930's. We can speculate as to "why" of this pen, but the guesses are typical to any pen from the era with off-catalogue features: seasonal item (?), low-run for specific store chain (?) and so forth.

Comments, questions, insights of course are invited.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hi David,

Beautiful pen, hardly deserving the moniker of an "economy" model !! What size is this pen?

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

I've documented the pencil at page 68 of my book. I understand they were specially made for presentation sets.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:40 AM

I've documented the pencil at page 68 of my book. I understand they were specially made for presentation sets.

A not unreasonable hypothesis, though one found as well with other pens with anomalous trim. Any paper/evidence, or just the usual collector hearsay?

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hi David,

Beautiful pen, hardly deserving the moniker of an "economy" model !! What size is this pen?

Regards
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

The "economy" element is based on trim, nib, warranty. This is a non Gold-Seal model, though as with various other Lifetime/Non-Lifetime sorts (Vacumatic Major vs Junior, Sheaffer Premier vs Admiral Balance), the core quality tends to be pretty much the same.

This one is small model. Not in front of me but I'd guess it runs 12 cm or so.

regards

David

Posted Image

#6 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

The original post is a bit old, but since the pen just came in off the 'bay, I thought I'd share:

Posted Image

Edited by marcshiman, 14 January 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

The original post is a bit old, but since the pen just came in off the 'bay, I thought I'd share:

Posted Image

Marc, that is a monster.

I am cheerfully envious :)

regards

David

Posted Image

#8 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

There's another one on the 'bay. Its not a great example of a pen, but it seems they are still out there. Pretty plastic though.

The interesting thing about these pens is that this one, David's and mine all have what would be considered non-standard nibs in them. The one I got has basically the same nib as David's and was advertised as having a "correct" replacement nib (whatever that means). The one on the 'bay has a warranted nib. My understanding is that in a plunger filled, second gen pen they would use a banner nib as a replacement (sometimes mislabled "skyline nib".

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

#9 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

The so-called "Skyline" type nib only came in c. 1939, so at the very end of the run. Even among the later model Dorics, most would have left the factory with earlier types of nibs. Note that there is a very specific Wahl-made warranted nib that one often finds on these, particularly on pen with drilled Gold Seals -- it's not just any old warranted nib.

#10 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Note that there is a very specific Wahl-made warranted nib that one often finds on these, particularly on pen with drilled Gold Seals -- it's not just any old warranted nib.

David,

Have you ever seen a drilled Gold Seal on a Doric? I can't say I have. Only on a personal point.

Marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users