#1 Bradley A

Bradley A

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFort Smith AR

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

I am thinking of getting in doing some sack repairs on my pens. Is a heat gun needed or will a hair dryer suffice? If a heat gun is needed what type, what maximum setting should be used?
I am a proud lefty that uses fountain pens.

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

You do need a source of dry heat. I don't even try to open most pens without one.

A hair dryer will work, and I used one for quite a while. But my preference, and the preference of a lot of repair guys is to use a heat gun, and not one of the ones from a hardware store, or one of the fancy temperature controlled ones. The reason is that it produces more heat, and heat that is more focused, than a hair dryer.

The other advantage is that I can hang the thing off the edge of a table (I made a clamp for shows) or on the front of a drawer when I flip the stand over. This aims the opening straight up and at a comfortable level for working. I've used one for about 6 years now, long enough to wear one out completely. I never use the $150 temperature controlled Steinel heat gun.

Your craft stores like Michaels, A.C. Moore, and Hobby Lobby sell an embossing gun. This has an opening about 1/2" in diameter, which means that it's quite focused and therefore limits the exposure to a smaller area. I work with the pen about 3-4 inches away from the opening depending on what I'm doing. Typical price is in the $20-$25 range, but they often have 50% off coupons in the paper or on line.

I would suggest reading my articles Cheap Tools, as well as the article on Seeing With Your Fingers on my web site.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users