Photo

Waterman #10 Nib that was missing its tail!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

Hi Everyone!

Well, this was an interesting repair; see photos below. This Waterman #10 nib was sent to me, with a missing tail. About 10-11mm was missing, broken off, and lost. The challenge here was to fabricate, best possible, the proper sheet gold, in 14K, and shape/form it to match the nib.

Color matching was also a consideration, as one can just go out and buy sheet gold, but the color would not match. What I had to do was to find older 14k sheet gold to best match for the client's nib. Welding and then smoothing has made for a pretty good repair to this rare and valuable nib.

Gold is expensive, but so is this nib!

Greg Minuskin

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:32 AM

Pretty cool :)

Might be tad tougher to do same on the Montblanc Astoria 1930's "000" nib on a 3" Baby Safety Pen. The nib is teeeeny, and already had an attempted soldering of a tine. Needs tipping too.

Question I'd have would be whether repair could be done to a thin, nearly microscopic nib, and how much strength repaired nib would have.

Here is the photo spread of pen and nib.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

Pretty cool :)

Might be tad tougher to do same on the Montblanc Astoria 1930's "000" nib on a 3" Baby Safety Pen. The nib is teeeeny, and already had an attempted soldering of a tine. Needs tipping too.

Question I'd have would be whether repair could be done to a thin, nearly microscopic nib, and how much strength repaired nib would have.

Here is the photo spread of pen and nib.

Posted Image

regards

David

Thanks David! Now lets hope the customer likes the work; he is pretty picky Posted Image

Well, that is a challenge, and what a pen, what a pen! The deal with this repair is that I would take down the damage/poor repair, use wire to close up the tines better, and then retip with a small, .8mm Sheaffer pellet I have from the Sheaffer factory. I can make that look better, but not perfect.

Really impressed with your new pen room in your new apartment in Manhattan. Could be like the Lincoln Bedroom; you could "rent out" with a cot select individuals to sleep in there and be surrounded by such greatness Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users