#1 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

Posted Image

This colour ( appears to be a red veined green lizard skin pattern) rarely appears, I don't recall ever seeing a pen offered for sale on ebay or around the usual "haunts" and if it did I suspect I'd be out gunned anyway Posted Image So when this turned up I thought second best will do and at $30 + post I'm inclined to think something of a bargain , although the mechanism is jammed the overall appearance seems good....the minimum 2 week wait ( or longer at this time of year) has to occur until I know for sure. All the details here. I'm rather pleased to have picked this one up Posted Image

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:24 AM

Couple pens I added to my collection long ago. Of course I accidentally lit on fire the lip of the brown one, but it could have been worse

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

And, there is something to be said for 1930's Waterman pens not made in the USA

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

Couple pens I added to my collection long ago. Of course I accidentally lit on fire the lip of the brown one, but it could have been worse

Posted Image

regards

David

Hi David,

Nice pair to have in your collection, is the "visual" pattern mismatch between the caps and barrels just a result of aging or just lighting? Either way I'm suitably impressed ( cough, splutter etc..) ...Posted Image..I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who's "torched" a Conklin....although mine was a Chicago one ...not of this quality or desirability...hence it survived with next to no damage, but it did make me invest in a hot air blower though!!. The Watermans is also a bit of an eye catcher.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#5 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

Another one was recently on ebay in the UK. Item 220897093450.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hi David,

Nice pair to have in your collection, is the "visual" pattern mismatch between the caps and barrels just a result of aging or just lighting? Either way I'm suitably impressed ( cough, splutter etc..) ...Posted Image..I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who's "torched" a Conklin....although mine was a Chicago one ...not of this quality or desirability...hence it survived with next to no damage, but it did make me invest in a hot air blower though!!. The Watermans is also a bit of an eye catcher.

Regards
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

These are All American models, plunger fill, with barrel transparency mottled in with the snakeskin color. I believe you are seeing the transparent areas, accounting for the apparent color mismatch.

regards

david

Posted Image

#7 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Another one was recently on ebay in the UK. Item 220897093450.

Now that was cheap...wonder how I missed it? I normally check the UK ebay for Conks every couple of days.. Edit to add: I see now it wasn't id'ed as a Conklin, no wonder I missed it!!

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 07 December 2011 - 08:46 PM.

Hugh Cordingley

#8 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

It arrived and far better "in the flesh" than I had hoped for, really a very attractive pattern with great character...and easily returned to working condition. Has a nice feel in hand so might use it for a bit as well.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users