38 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

I've been bad the last year about getting pens to the restorers, and save for some "emergency" repairs Ron Zorn has done for me in person up in Syracuse on occasion, I have not sent packages out to probably six restorers to whom I promised some pens. I'm getting there.

But, at the Ohio show I had taken a few more than few unrestored "eye candy" Snorks (three Masterpieces, etc) with me for some promised Show and Tell. And, while there I acquired a rather sweet collection of mostly NOS Snorks, with nib grade labels, including a couple flex code nibs and even a Gregg Shorthand nib with the label and the little crescent stamp. So with Martin Ferguson, pen restorer and noted Snork collector, present I happily dropped the thirty Snorks with him on site, many of which he finished at the show, and with all the remainder returned in short order. He does nice work :)

I have a couple very dedicated Snork collectors who follow the Vacumania.com website. And there are some want lists.

So... none of the following will make it to the website. BUT, they are great pens restored very nicely. Several Snorks and one TM Touchdown (one year pre-Snork pen), a better model too. Per recent discusisons, I do find the TM Touchdown a bit underappreciated. Much less common than Snork for obvious reasons, but prices in the same zone.

All of these are better color/better model, floating at the upper end of significance for the two series.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:12 AM

Nice David, TM TD Autographs do seem to a very hard to find so I'm impressed !! ....even more so as I don't have one....

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

There are so many nice pens....but doesn't the Autograph have my name on it? -Just asking since I see a P-E-D-R.
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#4 ticoun

ticoun

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

i loooove that fern green set! too bad they're so rare.

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

There are so many nice pens....but doesn't the Autograph have my name on it? -Just asking since I see a P-E-D-R.

Nah, It's an Irani girl's name Pedramine.

Just kidding (though that is a real name).

The pen indeed belonged to Pedro, last name something along lines of Hysician.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

Here is more Snorkel Eye Candy, most pens freshly back from Martin.

All are intermediate or high cachet colors. The greens are Sage.

Of note, and recognizing that "do you see things as I do" often is a woggly game, I find the Buckskin Sovereign (steel, non white dot cap) and the Buckskin Crest (gold-filled cap) to be a bit interesting, from a Snorkel collecting standpoint. I'll post a bit later as to why I believe that, but feel free to add comments on any of these from your own view. Most of these are Nearmint-Mint with nib-grade stickers on sections. Nice stuff.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

David, the right-most pen - is that the color known as Fiesta Red? Handsome pen.

#8 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hi David,

I don't recall seeing "buckskins" with metal caps ( or if I have it's not often..), the all plastic seeming to be the "norm". Is this what makes them interesting?

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#9 Gary

Gary

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDublin, IN.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Buckskins with metal caps can't be that hard to find. (Dr. I's picture, third from bottom) I even have one of those and if I have one, everyone should have one.
Gary R.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Some good ideas are being tossed about.

Again, to avoid being too cagey, I do recognize that quirky elements of a pen series might have more significance to me than to others.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss possible significance of a pen "just because" it is found in collections that their owners consider to be basic or to be non-advanced. Anyone can find a grand pen, and I have bought several truly grand pens that were found by "beginners" who preferred cash to owning the pen. They found a pen that I had to buy from middleman, so to speak ;)

I note and agree that indeed no pen in the second photo is overwhelmingly hard to find, though all have better than average cachet, and some can take a bit of effort to find. Still, any of them can be procured in gem shape in fairly short order by someone willing to part with $180-300 (retail) per pen. Finding for $10 in a flea market can take longer.

Also I note that Snork is pretty late to the game for aggressive stratification of rarities and such. It was not so long ago that save for a couple identified rarities, or for solid gold (never go wrong with solid gold), most snorks were $10-20 items, a bit more in the retail setting, not that most pen retailers bothered with them.

Snorkel is coming into its own. It should. It is a high quality pen that competed well in head-to-head with Parker's "51". While I lean to multicolored celluloids, the Snork is a pretty pen, streamlined, thin and understated in an era of trim pens, offering many colors, many models and-- adding to today's OCD collecting insanity-- fully marked coded "rare point" nibs.

Again to Gary, one clue I'll toss is that... not all metal caps were created equal.

Keep at it folks. I will flesh out the quirks that appeal to me amongst the pens shown. I hope a few others will chime in first. If not, I'll have at it.

regards

David

Posted Image

#11 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Okay David, Crests in later colours aren't that common...and even a lot of well cared for ones have the all too common "ding" in the top..and this one appears to have a non white dot which (if the case) is something unusual. I give up on the Sovereign,only noting I find the cap more attractive than the Sentinel !!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#12 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

Dear David,

I remember seeing the demonstrator at the D.C. show in August, and that coral color one too. Amazing condition pens in person, and honestly, I think you got the "pick of the litter" when it comes to Sheaffer's of this type at the D.C. Show.

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com

#13 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

...I think you got the "pick of the litter" when it comes to Sheaffer's of this type at the D.C. Show.

I have a funny feeling that Dr. I. buys his pants at www.deeppockets.com.

I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. :)

#14 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:40 AM

Here is one I don't see -

Posted Image

9K snorkel

Posted Image
Cap detail

Maybe Pat will post his 18K...

Roger W.

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

...I think you got the "pick of the litter" when it comes to Sheaffer's of this type at the D.C. Show.

I have a funny feeling that Dr. I. buys his pants at www.deeppockets.com.

I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. :)

Not so deep. Keep in mind that >90% of my pen purchases are for resale. All the pens shown in my two images above will not be staying with me. I get to enjoy buying 'em, but I don't keep many.

The entire top photo spread was claimed by a want list from a long time Snorkel customer. I hang onto a few here and there...

regards

david

Posted Image

#16 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Roger -

Here is a file shot I have. It will be Tuesday or so before I can handle them and post more detail on them.

Best,
Pat

Posted Image

#17 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

David, did I mention I've been wrong before? ;) And Roger, I have a serious desire for that gold Snork you posted, beautiful.

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

David, did I mention I've been wrong before? ;) And Roger, I have a serious desire for that gold Snork you posted, beautiful.

Welcome to the club (for both your points) ;)

And, of course, I do to justify to myself having thousands of pens lying about...

Sigh.

-d

Posted Image

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Dear David,

I remember seeing the demonstrator at the D.C. show in August, and that coral color one too. Amazing condition pens in person, and honestly, I think you got the "pick of the litter" when it comes to Sheaffer's of this type at the D.C. Show.

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com

Hi Greg,

Demos do pop up, and I believe I grabbed one at the DC Show, so it might have been that pen. "Coral" has the official Sheaffer name of Mandarin. Not a common color. I do like the look.

regards

David

Posted Image

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hi David,

I don't recall seeing "buckskins" with metal caps ( or if I have it's not often..), the all plastic seeming to be the "norm". Is this what makes them interesting?

Regards
Hugh

I will preface the following by noting that because so many Snorkel parts are physically interchangeable it is a series that lends itself to inaccurate parts swaps making frankenpens, both with feature mixes that are inappropriate (eg. open nib with white dot cap) and with feature sets never produced for a given color (eg. Peacock Crest). On the other hand, so many colors were made in so many models, with both matching caps and with relatively generic metal caps, that one oftren can mix original pens to make different models that still are good proper kosher pens.

I also will note that collector stratification of Snorkels by model, color and nib-grade are a relatively recent phenomenon in pendom and even today large swaths of models generally price at similar point, without big interest differences amongst collectors.

Finally, I will note that there is a saying in our (and no doubt others), that "collectors cannot add". The idea is that a basic pen will gain value for the presence of a "better" feature, but will not gain the full value of two special features compared to single pens each featuring one special feature.

A yellow Parker "51" well outvalues a black parker "51". A black Parker "51" with solid gold Empire cap well outvalues a black Parker "51" with common steel cap. However, perhaps a Parker 51 in yellow and with the empire cap, will not gain the total value that one might expect based on the value bump from each of the two prior pens' upgrades. Makes sense. Some collectors want yellow and will pay a bonus. Some collectors want a solid gold cap and will pay a bonus. But, not all those collectors want both the special color and the special cap, thus decreasing the demand for the pen with both special features.

OK. Time to address the nuances (or is that the insanity) that make the two Buckskin pens with metal caps somewhat interesting to me.

The gold-filled cap indicates a Snorkel Crest. This already has been mentioned. Pen is in superb condition, though indeed there is a hint of yellowing to the white dot. Crest was the most expensive model offered for Buckskin. And, Buckskin does not turn up so often as Crest. Even if a nice one does appear, for those selling pens, taking a common black Snorkel Sentinel (steel white dot cap) and swapping caps with the Buckskin Crest, will yield a Buckskin Sentinel and a Black Crest. The Black pen gains great value being a Crest. The Buckskin arguably does not lose much value being converted from Crest to Sentinel, given that the price of the Buckskin and the value of the Crest cap in one pen can be hard to extract. Some people want a Crest. Some want a Buckskin. How many will pay the full value to get both features in one pen?

Still, I plan to keep this pen as it was found. It is a neat feature mix and even if it pulls a bit lower price than splitting up the parts... so be it.

The Steel cap Buckskin is a Snorkel Sovereign. It is the fanciest non-white-dot Snorkel found. I would speculate that by spending just a bit more than this model cost, buyers were able to get into the loftier white-dot models, and... they did so. I find the Sovereign to be an appealing model and as per the Crest, we start with a better color pen with better cap, noting that only recently has much noise been made that the Sovereign is worthy of some extra attention. But, unlike Crest which lends itself to easy cap swaps, mainly from the common steel white-dot cap, Sovereign does not permit trivial cap swaps. The only other cap one can put on a Soevereign barrel assembly (open two tone nib) is a Buckskin plastic cap. Such caps are not trivial to find. So, the Sovereign as Buckskin is not so common, probably the first or second most scarce Buckskin pen. One can argue if Crest is more rare as Buckskin; the Crest cap overall is more common than the Sovereign cap, if one hunts parts. So with an uncommon trim form and with the only available swap being a plastic non-white-dot Buckskin cap, this is a better pen that likely will stay together as shown.

Thoughts?

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users