Photo

Wahl Decoband Eye Candy. 4 Big Honkers...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

The Deco Band; it was Wahl's oversized high line model in the Personal Point series, with no original model name, catalogued and generally found with the Gold Seal. This late 1920's series gave way in 1930 (at least in ads) to the OS Equi-Poised and eventually to oversized Doric, for size king of the high line at Wahl.

Pens are known or catalogued in smooth black plastic, black/pearl, Jade, Lapis, green/bronze and Rosewood. More scarce black chased and red chased hard rubber pens are known, but I'd have to double check my catalogues to see if they are catalogued. Perhaps the most rare, rather mythic color is Flamingo, uncatalogued in flat-top pens (though well documented for economy line Equi-Poised), with perhaps 4-5 known to the hobby currently. Although, come to think of it, more mythic and certainly more scarce would be the Coral (red-and-orange) Deco Band. I've never seen one. There are rumors of one pen or one pen cap, and I believe one of the Wahl period adverts shows image of it. Also known are pure orange export variants believed to be meant for the Danish market.

I am fond of Wahl Eversharp pens. The last on the scene from the Big Five, many high quality and beautiful models were produced. My collection hovers around 100 pens-- as I generally do not collect series from this maker in completist fashion- but I have handled far more than that of course, what with sales stock for the website, pen show browsing, and work with my photo archiving.

I do not actively pursue a complete Decoband collection, even recognizing challenges in defining what would be "complete". But, when I stumble across nice examples in reasonable setting, I rarely turn them down.
We had a thread today showing an anomalous Decoband, in black chased hard rubber, with off-catalogue (though obscurely documented) pattern to the chasing

Decoband Anomaly: http://fountainpenbo...gly-worn-faded/

Here is my current collection, noting I have a black pen lying about somewhere or other which I could not find tonight (not a good sign). The pen at left, in Flamingo celluloid, is one of the mythic Wahls, currently arguably 4-5 known. Nice examples...

Posted Image

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:24 AM

Beautiful photo and nice pens too, David!!!

:)
Silicon Valley Digerati & Pen Noob
Looking for the next great pen, ink, & paper

#3 ihimlen

ihimlen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

The Flamingo DB is a real killer when it comes to the looks department - I think it's one of the most beautiful colours Wahl-Eversharp has ever made.
Life is too important to be taken seriously
(Oscar Wilde)

#4 Truman

Truman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

David, the green & bronze pen to the far right has a different band on it than the others (Rhomboid). Do you know if they made this color pen with the Deco Grecian band too?

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

David, the green & bronze pen to the far right has a different band on it than the others (Rhomboid). Do you know if they made this color pen with the Deco Grecian band too?

Hi,

Recollection has it that the "Rhomboid" band is the catalogued band for this color oversized pen, all other colors having the wider band that collectors call the Deco Band.

That said, Deco Band variants have cropped up. So far they are considered anomalies and hold great charm.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#6 Truman

Truman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think I need to send you some money for all this information! :lol:

Edited by Truman, 04 February 2012 - 10:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users