14 replies to this topic

#1 pensilly

pensilly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hi, can someone tell me anything about this LeBouef please? It has a no. 8 nib and a sleeve filler. Is this a rare pen? It's the only LeBouef I have, and I'm really not an expert on the brand. I'm a new member and will be going through the forum to learn more about these pens.

I got it years ago in a trade and have no idea what it would even be worth today. All input is most welcome! Thanks!

Posted Image

Edited by pensilly, 28 January 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi, can someone tell me anything about this LeBouef please? It has a no. 8 nib and a sleeve filler. Is this a rare pen? It's the only LeBouef I have, and I'm really not an expert on the brand. I'm a new member and will be going through the forum to learn more about these pens.

I got it years ago in a trade and have no idea what it would even be worth today. All input is most welcome! Thanks!

Hi,

Hey, do put that image in GALLERY. It's worth seeing full size at first glance :)

This Leboeuf is quite scarce. Some collectors call it "bumblebee" pattern, though I know of no original literature from Leboeuf describing this pen. #8 maks it the big boy. For those unfamiliar, Leboeuf made high quality pens often with grand and unusual colors. I vaguely recall Leboeuf made its own celluloid and that some evidence suggests this small make might have used celluloid even before Sheaffer. Information about Leboeuf also is scarce.

I do a great deal of pen photography. Have shot about 6000 old pens, mostly from collections that are not mine. Since scale and lighting are identical for all shots, I can mix images to make some nice montages.

I shot a bumblebee oversized Leboeuf a few years ago, a pen found by Paul Erano. It sold well in short order.

If it is in great shape, it would retail >$1000. How much more is very subjective, depending on the needs and wants of the rarified group of Leboeufians who hunt such critters. Condition though really is important. Color preservation. Trim wear. Etc.

Are you seeking to sell?

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 pensilly

pensilly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hi,

Hey, do put that image in GALLERY. It's worth seeing full size at first glance :)

This Leboeuf is quite scarce. Some collectors call it "bumblebee" pattern, though I know of no original literature from Leboeuf describing this pen. #8 maks it the big boy. For those unfamiliar, Leboeuf made high quality pens often with grand and unusual colors. I vaguely recall Leboeuf made its own celluloid and that some evidence suggests this small make might have used celluloid even before Sheaffer. Information about Leboeuf also is scarce.

I do a great deal of pen photography. Have shot about 6000 old pens, mostly from collections that are not mine. Since scale and lighting are identical for all shots, I can mix images to make some nice montages.

I shot a bumblebee oversized Leboeuf a few years ago, a pen found by Paul Erano. It sold well in short order.

If it is in great shape, it would retail >$1000. How much more is very subjective, depending on the needs and wants of the rarified group of Leboeufians who hunt such critters. Condition though really is important. Color preservation. Trim wear. Etc.

Are you seeking to sell?

Posted Image

regards

David

Hi David, thanks for your informative reply. I've posted a larger picture per your suggestion. I've also created a public album in Gallery for this pen, you can look there for more images.

There are no markings anywhere on this pen except on the nib. It's in excellent condition, no evidence of any brassing or indeed of any wear. I don't know if these pens had markings on them - if so, maybe they have just faded? If not, could this be a factory prototype or something? I noticed that the sleeve filler has no spring bar - is that normal? It seems unlikely that someone would have removed the bar, given the overall excellent condition of the rest of the pen, but who knows? I'm not looking to sell, but was curious about the value, since as you said, these are so scarce. In fact, another member just asked if I wanted to sell Posted Image

Thanks!

#4 pensilly

pensilly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi,

Are you seeking to sell?

Posted Image

regards

David

Hi David, thanks for your informative reply. I've posted a larger picture per your suggestion. I've also created a public album in Gallery for this pen, you can look there for more images.

There are no markings anywhere on this pen except on the nib. It's in excellent condition, no evidence of any brassing or indeed of any wear. I don't know if these pens had markings on them - if so, maybe they have just faded? If not, could this be a factory prototype or something? I noticed that the sleeve filler has no spring bar - is that normal? It seems unlikely that someone would have removed the bar, given the overall excellent condition of the rest of the pen, but who knows? I'm not looking to sell, but was curious about the value, since as you said, these are so scarce. In fact, another member just asked if I wanted to sell Posted Image

Thanks!

One more thing just came to mind. Some years ago, I had Brad Torelli install a new sac in this pen. He said he'd never seen anything like it. I'm curious as to which part of the country Paul Erano found the other one in? I found mine in CT. Since they were in Springfield MA, I found it not very far from its birthplace.

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm not sure all Leboeufs have barrel imprints, and of course imprints can wear away.

My reflex in nearly any pen discussion is to lean away from "prototype" labels. Term bandied about sometimes a bit casually ;)

Leboeuf used plenty of colors seemingly unique to line, and the "bumblebee" does turn up.

Looks like a very nice pen.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRedmond / Kirkland, WA

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

I have a couple LeBoeufs that have no barrel imprint, but appear otherwise to be in very clean condition. I don't know why some pens seem to have left Springfield without barrel imprints, but there are enough of them out there that I am inclined to believe it was not a rare fluke.

@pensilly: What a fantastic pen you have! It is the largest model in an uncommon color.
As David points out, condition and convergence of buyers have a big impact on price. IMO, you could sell the pen easily at $1k. If I were to see such a pen at a pen show, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a price tag more along the lines of $1500-1700 on it.

Best Regards, greg

#7 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

pensilly,

I have the same LeBoeuf , I have heard it called "bumblebee" pattern as david I. pointed out, but also "banana", It does not have an imprint in the barrel. I have some other LeBoeuf's but only three of them have an imprint
"Unbreakable
LeBoeuf Fountain Pen Co.
Springfield Mass."
Lambrou mentions they were manufactured from 1928 to 1934 if my memory does not fail me. What a pity they are wonderful pens and write really great.
I just posted two images in the members gallery section. The larger ones have a # 8 nib, and the smaller ones # 6 and # 4
Anything I can learn about them from all of you is welcome
Regards, Ariel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Penmex, 31 January 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

pensilly,

I have the same LeBoeuf , I have heard it called "bumblebee" pattern as david I. pointed out, but also "banana", It does not have an imprint in the barrel. I have some other LeBoeuf's but only three of them have an imprint
"Unbreakable
LeBoeuf Fountain Pen Co.
Springfield Mass."
Lambrou mentions they were manufactured from 1928 to 1934 if my memory does not fail me. What a pity they are wonderful pens and write really great.
I just posted two images in the members gallery section. The larger ones have a # 8 nib, and the smaller ones # 6 and # 4
Regards, Ariel

Hi Ariel,

Great pens! Thanks for sharing.

In case you've note tried, not that photos in GALLERY can be pasted into posts easily. In the GALLERY, just hit the share image option and select the line of "BBC CODE". Copy it, paste it into your post (example to follow), and the image will appear. You don't need to use the photo icon in the posting box for these, as the BBC code attaches all necessary tags.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#9 JB Apelbaum

JB Apelbaum

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

Hi all,

My guess, based on the LeBoeuf pens that I own and have seen, is that the lever-fill LeBoeuf pens generally had company markings on the barrel of the pen in addition to the nib, clip and lever. The sleeve fill and thumb fill LeBoeuf pens generally had no markings on the barrel, and the only markings were on the nib and clip.

In that respect, it is similar to the Carter's pens. Their later streamlined Pearltex models seldom had factory markings on the barrels.

Barry

#10 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRedmond / Kirkland, WA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

I just did a quick look at my LeBoeufs, and see the following with respect to imprints:

_ Of approximately 25 lever-fillers, all but one had the expected imprint. The one exception, a jade #65 is pretty well worn, so there might have been an imprint originally.
_ Of approximately 20 pens with one or the other of the thumb-fillers, only one had an imprint. The one pen with an imprint has an odd one. The imprint is circumferential, about 1" from the bottom of the barrel.
(in a flowing, curvy font) LeBoeuf
PAT. APPLIED FOR
Springfield, Mass.

greg

#11 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

pensilly,

"Unbreakable
LeBoeuf Fountain Pen Co.
Springfield Mass."
Regards, Ariel

Hi Ariel,

Great pens! Thanks for sharing.

In case you've note tried, not that photos in GALLERY can be pasted into posts easily. In the GALLERY, just hit the share image option and select the line of "BBC CODE". Copy it, paste it into your post (example to follow), and the image will appear. You don't need to use the photo icon in the posting box for these, as the BBC code attaches all necessary tags.

Posted Image

regards

David

David, Thank you for the information, I will add the other image and will know how the next time.
Regards, Ariel

#12 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hi to all,
I am sure you are right, it is the same case with mine. Lever fillers have an imprint the others do not.
I imagine it is because their filling system separates the barrel in two sections and he imprint does not show
good in the limited space...
Thanks for the comments,
Regards, Ariel

Well, now the pens are all over the place... I will avoid it next time, I have learned. Sorry anyway...

Edited by Penmex, 31 January 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#13 pensilly

pensilly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

I have a couple LeBoeufs that have no barrel imprint, but appear otherwise to be in very clean condition. I don't know why some pens seem to have left Springfield without barrel imprints, but there are enough of them out there that I am inclined to believe it was not a rare fluke.

@pensilly: What a fantastic pen you have! It is the largest model in an uncommon color.
As David points out, condition and convergence of buyers have a big impact on price. IMO, you could sell the pen easily at $1k. If I were to see such a pen at a pen show, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a price tag more along the lines of $1500-1700 on it.

Best Regards, greg

Thanks Greg. I'm beginning to realize this is a special pen - I knew it was nice, but didn't realize it was quite that special. Regards, Peter

#14 pensilly

pensilly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

Hi to all,
I am sure you are right, it is the same case with mine. Lever fillers have an imprint the others do not.
I imagine it is because their filling system separates the barrel in two sections and he imprint does not show
good in the limited space...
Thanks for the comments,
Regards, Ariel

Well, now the pens are all over the place... I will avoid it next time, I have learned. Sorry anyway...

Ariel, those are gorgeous! You are very fortunate! Peter

#15 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

Pensilly

Thank you for your words.
I feel fortunate.
Le Boeuf is one of those pens I can not resist when I see ... to write with them is always a pleasure, specially those with a # 8 nib
I bought them in different periods during the last twenty years. Enjoy yours, they are not always easy to find.
Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users