10 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

--- I posted the following essay on my website about a year back. Seems pertinent to some recent threads here, so I have posted it again. If you'd like to see the original formatting (maybe a bit easier on the eyes) do look to the following link. "Best 1940's Sheaffer?".

Otherwise, read on:

--------------------**----------------------

"Best" often is ill defined
when applied in general to any given vintage pen. The appeal of old pens without doubt has subjective elements. Does "best" indicate the most valuable pen, either now or at time of manufacture? Does it signify the most rare pen? The most beautiful (now there is something more than a tad subjective)? Biggest? Smallest? Most unusual? Most charming? Clearly one treads dangerous terrain making claims of "best", when applying it outside very specific context.

No matter. Today I will make such a claim.

For me, a best pen might be an evanescent thing, but within any given category of pen, i can... imagine... that when I recognize a pen that blends outrageous scarcity, value, charm and nuance, I can apply this special label.

At the Washington DC Pen Show August 2009, while perusing oodles of old pens, I found a spectacular 1940's Sheaffer fountain pen. Today, it might not (but might) be the most valuable pen from that era. Indeed, it might not be glamorous or glitzy (but might be). But, it is... very very special.

Recall that Sheaffer features well known, aggressively collected, and well characterized series from the 1930's and from the 1950's-- Balance and Snorkel, respectively. 1940's pens ran - obviously- between these two series.

Posted Image

I'm a bit uncertain that interregnum is a word that can be applied in retrospect. Still, while Sheaffer produced successful fountain pens throughout the 1940's, for collectorsduring the thirty-odd years of organized pen collecting's existence, the 1940's Sheaffers largely have been ignored. This era nearly is a skip period in restrospective collector interest.

Likely this is due to the challenge that the wire (plunger) filling system previously posed to restoration. In the early days of collectable pendom, the unrestored pens were traded in that form. Later, restoration efforts were made, but of limited success, often failing within a year or two. However, highly reliable restoration techniques have appeared during the last few years, increasing interest in the Sheaffer pens from the 1940's.

The 1940's Sheaffers offer a wide array of pens. Models were introduced and discontinued. The end of World War II offers a convenient breakpoint, as one key set of models ran 1942-1945, replaced by another set in 1946, leaving us with "war era" and "post war" pens.

With pens most often made of celluloid, enhanced by metal trim, the 1940's did see, finally, the introduction of injection-molded plastic by Sheaffer, nearly ten years after Parker and Wahl (longer still compared to Esterbrook) began to employ that material.

1940's Sheaffer pens with gold nibs retailed from $2.75 to a lofty $125, that latter number for the impressive solid gold Masterpiece, a pen some might argue is the "best" Sheaffer pen from that era.

Posted Image

Major pen manufacturers often offered to dealers Demonstrator pens. Made from transparent or translucent plastic, they were designed to reveal the pens' inner mechanisms. Unlike modern so-called demonstrators, marketed aggressively to end users, that which collectors today call "capital 'D'" Demonstrators generally were produced in tiny quantity, meant for dealer use only, not offered in catalogues, and not offered to customers. Thus... vintage Demonstrators are scarce.

Some collectors seek to assemble a wide range of Demonstrators. Others seek Demonstrators within their more specific collecting foci. As I do collect Sheaffers and have a significant Balance collection and a more modest Snorkel and Pen-for-Men collection, I do seek Demonstrators from amongst those models. I also buy/sell via my website Demonstrators of all sorts. So, I am... aware... of Demonstrators when I search for good old pens.
Browsing ebay nearly every day, having peeked at other retail pen sites regularly, having spent probably 200 days or more during the last ten years at vintage pen shows... I well appreciate the challenge in finding nice Demonstrators

I have handled/seen a couple dozen Sheaffer Snorkel Demonstrators from the 1950's, have seen several Sheaffer Pen-for-Men Demonstrators, and have handled, seen, or owned more than ten 1930's Sheaffer Balance Demonstrators, generally found in two colors, the green-tinged Standard and yellow Oversized. Great pens, really.

Oddly-- or maybe not so oddly, given the 1940's is an interregnum in collector interest-- I had never seen a Demonstrator Sheaffer from the 1940's. Below, see a couple of Sheaffer Demonstrators from my personal collection.

Posted Image

Perhaps by now you have guessed where this essay leads. I generally have not actively collected 1940's Sheaffers, though I have had a couple nice examples (eg. solid gold Masterpiece) lying about for some time. Now that the pens can be reliably restored, I've paid more attention and indeed at the moment have perhaps 150 pens from that era in hand, part of a project for a significant website offering of these venerable pens. I do suspect that after pursuing this project, I likely will keep ten or fifteen pens for my personal collection.

So, imagine my shock when, after ten years collecting old pens, I found an unusual 1940's post-War Sheaffer Statesman at the Washington DC Pen Show last week (August 8, 2009). Statesman is a white-dot level pen, part of the post-War series that is second in size only to the Valiant-related pens, and which features the conical "Triumph" nib, plastic cap and barrel, and gold-filled trim. it is similar in size to the green striped, metal capped Sentinel shown in the first picture above.

This Statesman was... transparent. It was a celluloid Demonstrator, the only Demonstrator from this era I have ever seen. Indeed, even that so-and-so from New Jersey, who far more seriously pursues 1930's-1940's Sheaffer than do I, has never seen another. In the experience of several serious collectors, this pen is unique within collectable pendom.

Posted Image

So, a first for 1940's Sheaffers... a true Demonstrator, fully marked, made of celluloid, seemingly unique. This peaked my interest. The pen was offered at a not insignificant price. I bought it anyway. Non-buyer's remorse would have been too severe.

Below, see for the first time, Sheaffer Demonstrators from 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's.

Posted Image

Is this the best vintage 1940's Sheaffer pen known to collectable pendom? Perhaps. Certainly it currently is the least commonly found 1940's Sheaffer, far more rare than a solid gold Masterpiece, offering the charm of being the first Demonstrator from this era I've seen. It is a subtle, nuanced pen, interesting more to those who like the unusual than those who seek glitz. I consider its retail value at least on par with that of the Masterpiece. The 1939-ish catalogue (pre-Triumph era) showed a Platinum monster pen in the Crest family. Not sure one ever was catalogued for the 1940's-era, proper. I suppose if one of those were to turn up...

Anyway...

Posted Image

Final thoughts...
Lever-filling 1940's Sheaffers are well more scarce than those with the plunger-like wire-filling system. Even if this Demonstrator so far is unique in pendom, I cannot help but wonder if a a wire-pen Demo awaits discovery. As this pen is of celluloid, it is a fragile creature. Clear celluloid seems not to hold up as well as that which is darkly pigmented. This pen shows ambering of the barrel, and will need to have that corrupting ink-sac removed, replaced perhaps by a silicone sac or left sacless. The end-pieces on this one show typical stress marks. Still, it is unlikely I will replace it with a better example in the foreseeable future.

This one made for a very special find indeed.

Posted Image

Regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Amazing find David....nearly lost for words on this onePosted Image

Looks to me a late '40s pen, based on the nib....and it also looks like it might be a broad just to add to it. The very clearly defined end piece is an interesting feature.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 diplo

diplo

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSouth EU

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Beautiful write up.

As a side note, I wonder if there was some new patent or innovation to show up in the filling mech...
It is a bit surprising that Sheaffer created a demo around 1947 for a level filler, a system that was well established for decades. They had at the same time the plunger fill that was more new and appealing for such a model (considering that the goal of the demonstrator was to show to customer how the inner mech works and not to be sold). The lever fill system was intended to appeal to a more conservative base of customers (e.g. in 1949 the lever fill is available for some models only in black) that I believe knew very well how a lever pen worked.

Ins't that strange?

#4 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

1940's Sheaffer's should be ignored. I could end right there as enough has been said. In fact, I state everywhere over the net that I collect 1912-1941 (so I touch the 1940's) and snorkels (1952-1959) therefore, I am on record as having ignored the 40's for some time.

Solid Sheaffer pens with proper filling systems were made until 1941 (generally, though production was still continued and not ended in 1941 as a strict rule) and the last dry-proof desk bases with the top bell were made until 1942. Masterson at Faries Manufacturing designed his first lamp in 1945 and the famous "Cobra" lamp wrongly attributed to Bel Geddes in 1946. Sheaffer finally did get the vacuum system right with the touchdown in 1948. So the 40's weren't a complete waste of time but, it was a slow decade when one looks at the first three decades - well, it'd all been done by the 40's pen wise hadn't it?

I can't let you get away with "I have the coolest Sheaffer ever from the 1940's". Why? Because you are wrong. (I've just been watching "Top Gear" so I'm geared up for make believe fighting). Anyway, you are wrong and here is why. I have a properly documented 1940 pen that is as rare as your one off demonstrator. I bring you the "In Honor of" pen. The in honor of was a set engraving and then you would have added what was being honered. Offered in the 1940 and 1941 catalogues as a special order piece. As it was very expensive it seems that very few were ever ordered. The one I picture is currently the only one I am aware of.

Roger W.

Posted Image

1940 Catalogue image

Posted Image

Actual cap of 1940 "In Honor of" cap

Posted Image

Masterson's first lamp 1945

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

SNIP

I can't let you get away with "I have the coolest Sheaffer ever from the 1940's". Why? Because you are wrong. (I've just been watching "Top Gear" so I'm geared up for make believe fighting). Anyway, you are wrong and here is why. I have a properly documented 1940 pen that is as rare as your one off demonstrator. I bring you the "In Honor of" pen. The in honor of was a set engraving and then you would have added what was being honered. Offered in the 1940 and 1941 catalogues as a special order piece. As it was very expensive it seems that very few were ever ordered. The one I picture is currently the only one I am aware of.

Roger W.

Hmmm... Well, first 1940 is part of the 1930's not the 1940's. Too,even if 1940 were part of the 1940's and not part of the 1930's, thepens of even 1941 (which is part of the 1940's unlike 1940 which ispart of the 1930's) are holdover pens from the 1930's.

Too, I think I saw an honor cap at LA (in fairness, I don't insist- itmight've been non-honor masterpiece tucky cap) so I've seen two ofthose vs one of the the demo. Much more common, at least twice asprevalent for the honor cap ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

1940's Sheaffer's should be ignored. I could end right there as enough has been said. In fact, I state everywhere over the net that I collect 1912-1941 (so I touch the 1940's) and snorkels (1952-1959) therefore, I am on record as having ignored the 40's for some time.

Solid Sheaffer pens with proper filling systems were made until 1941 (generally, though production was still continued and not ended in 1941 as a strict rule) and the last dry-proof desk bases with the top bell were made until 1942. Masterson at Faries Manufacturing designed his first lamp in 1945 and the famous "Cobra" lamp wrongly attributed to Bel Geddes in 1946. Sheaffer finally did get the vacuum system right with the touchdown in 1948. So the 40's weren't a complete waste of time but, it was a slow decade when one looks at the first three decades - well, it'd all been done by the 40's pen wise hadn't it?

Heh, we're glad you ignore the 1940's pens. Less competition for those of us who like 'em.

I note that the filling system you decry is found in Sheaffers going back to around 1934 and that filling systems from before 1920 still are found in Sheaffers from the 1940's, so some clarification might be in order with your blanket condemnation.

That aside, the wire filling system allows huge ink capacity vs touchdown system. And, with current repair technology, will likely result in pen that needs re-restoration well less often than any lever filler or touchdown. The parts should outlast the rubber in current ink sacs.

I'm not quite ready to trade this in for a scroungy black ring top flat-end pen ;)

Posted Image

-d

Posted Image

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:14 AM

David;

Yes, the awful filling system did start in the mid 1930's but, I ignore those as well. I will admit that 1940 belongs to the 30's but, the pen was offered over the threshhold period into 1941 (the 1940's). Since my example is 1940 I see you're wanting to disclude it from the 40's so that you will indeed, win best pen for the 1940's. Well, I've got nothing - so I concede this round to you, Sir!

Roger W.

#8 Gerry Berg

Gerry Berg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

-
Below, see for the first time, Sheaffer Demonstrators from 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's.

Posted Image

Regards
David

David, If you're going to show a demonstrator from the 1930s, you might show one that demonstrated something interesting inside it.:P That's why this 1930s PLUNGER-FILLER demonstrator is my choice for 1930s.

Posted ImagePosted Image

For the 1940s, I would love to see a PLUNGER-FILLER demonstrator of my favorite pen, the Valiant II (94W). Did they make such things? I've never seen one.
Gerry

#9 Gerry Berg

Gerry Berg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:41 AM

SNIP
, the wire filling system allows huge ink capacity vs touchdown system. And, with current repair technology, will likely result in pen that needs re-restoration well less often than any lever filler or touchdown. The parts should outlast the rubber in current ink sacs.
I'm not quite ready to trade this in for a scroungy black ring top flat-end pen ;)

Posted Image
-d

On this I'm right with you. A 1945 plunger-filler Valiant II (94W) is my favorite pen (of the 1940s). I could write a page on the aesthetics, but here I stress convenience. It is a supreme example of pendom efficiency. You mention the huge ink capacity but I would combine that with its relatively small and pocket friendly size.Also the cap band is just right for me. It adds a touch of sparkle without making the pen heavy in the pocket. I have about five of these in carmine, each with a different kind of nib : flexie, 0.9 mm stub, 1.3 mm stub, medium, fine, and extra fine. One of these is always in my rotation.
Gerry

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

David, If you're going to show a demonstrator from the 1930s, you might show one that demonstrated something interesting inside it.:P That's why this 1930s PLUNGER-FILLER demonstrator is my choice for 1930s.

Posted ImagePosted Image

For the 1940s, I would love to see a PLUNGER-FILLER demonstrator of my favorite pen, the Valiant II (94W). Did they make such things? I've never seen one.
Gerry

A nice pen indeed. I "would" wonder if the cap was meant to be clear, but the two or three others I've seen had black caps. I've shot one somewhere or other.

Again, though, this post-War Demo is the only of its ilk I've seen. I've never seen another post-War Demo, so can but speculate as to the presence of a Valiant (or war-years Triumph, or...) Demo. Would be nice to find one.

regards

David

Posted Image

#11 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

Note, at request of one guy (not that guy), a lengthy tangent regarding word counts of various pens, with focus on Sheaffer's Snorkel, was moved to its own thread, so further direct information could be pursued about 1940's Sheaffer, the original topic.

The back and forth on word counts of Snorkel and of other pens has been preserved and can be pursued in its own thread in the "BIg 5" Section, at this link.

http://fountainpenbo..._1559#entry1559

Meanwhile, do continue with 1940's Sheaffer finds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users