10 replies to this topic

#1 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

I bought this pen a few days ago thinking from the pics it looked like a Vacufold, and good news it was. Bad news is it has seen better days. The cap band, which I think I have seen called the "stacked coin band" is quite silvered, the blind cap does not screw all the way on, and it looks like someone used pliers on the jewel. The pen is in Duofold blue and grey striped plastic with the "Parker Vacumatic" imprint and the arrow clip. The date code is 2 and I cannot make out which quarter. Kind of a neat and odd pen. I would be greatly interested in seeing examples of Vacufolds any of you have.

Thanks,

Preston

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hi,

Not such a common pen, though this one certainly is in rough shape.

Will post couple pens tomorrow.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I'm sure there are mint examples out there, but every Vacufold I find seems to be ragged and well worn. Probably just my experience.
JJ
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#4 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thank you both for your responses. I am really curious as to why or how this oddity shows up. Was it a factory error that was not caught for a little while? It would make sense to me that if it were some kind of fluke that they would have been sold as kind of a "bargain bin" item. Following that line of thought I could understand them seeming to be more worn than the average pen. Perhaps the fluke (if it was) would have sold at a lower price point than many of the other Parkers. This could have allowed someone used to writing with a Wearever or the like to achieve owning a Parker. As is often seen in the car market, the low end cars of an upscale brand are often much more worn that the high end cars; not because of abuse, but because the person has finally achieved owning that Mercedes C-Class and drive it till it drops. However, the average buyer of an S-Class (or high end Vacumatic) is more likely to be able to afford a replacement every few years.

I speak from an ignorant view because I don't have a clue why they showed up. I hope one of you know the story and can tell me I'm totally off base or, somewhat close.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Preston

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thank you both for your responses. I am really curious as to why or how this oddity shows up. Was it a factory error that was not caught for a little while? It would make sense to me that if it were some kind of fluke that they would have been sold as kind of a "bargain bin" item. Following that line of thought I could understand them seeming to be more worn than the average pen. Perhaps the fluke (if it was) would have sold at a lower price point than many of the other Parkers. This could have allowed someone used to writing with a Wearever or the like to achieve owning a Parker. As is often seen in the car market, the low end cars of an upscale brand are often much more worn that the high end cars; not because of abuse, but because the person has finally achieved owning that Mercedes C-Class and drive it till it drops. However, the average buyer of an S-Class (or high end Vacumatic) is more likely to be able to afford a replacement every few years.

I speak from an ignorant view because I don't have a clue why they showed up. I hope one of you know the story and can tell me I'm totally off base or, somewhat close.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Preston

Hi Preston,

The issue of explaining apparent anomalies is an oldie but a goodie no doubt. In fact, I highly urge you to join the PCA as the next (and following) PENnant Mags will have couple articles on this topic by yours truly. In fact current issue has a point-counterpoint on Frankenpens by Paul Erano and me.

So, given that we have no proof in hand, based on what passes for my experience I doubt the Vacufold was an accident, fluke, prototype, frankenpen, parts blow out, lunchtime special and so forth. If I were to continue with the 5-6 magic words we reflexively invoke whenever we see such things, I would lean to the final couple... namely Niche Market and Special Order.

It has been a bit since I have reviewed my Vacufolds, but recollection is they date to a couple quarters at most over 1942. This is not the start of the striped Duofold and not the end of the Striped Duofold (1940-1948). The clip for long pen is unique amongst Vacs as the thin long clip will not fit any other Vac at proper proportions, though there might be a connection between it and some claimed pre-1941 Parker 51's that are claimed to have had non-blue-diamond clips. I suppose those clips could have had parts to blow out. Note that vac-fill fully Duofold-marked stripers started at $3.95 while conventional Vac Junior was $5. We have no claimed stickered Vacufolds yet to establish prices, but there wasn't much room between the two price points to invoke need for another pen, and if there had been need, production more than a few months would have seemed to be indicated.

I keep open mind on all these points, as the best speculation can be disproven by what manufacturers in fact might have chosen to do.

I do wonder if these were for niche market. Regional or store chain distribution, seasonal one year or what have you.

What I would consider, but have not yet pursued at length, is whether these might have had to do with the war-years termination of low line pens. The Striped Duofold $2.95 button filler and Junior line $3.95 vac filler seems to have cut out around 1942. The Vacufolds show up in 1942. That lined cap-band was used on regular Vacumatics some colors just 1942-3, others continuing later. The size of the 2 vacufolds is identical to the two low-line vac-fill Duofolds which disappeared around 1942. It is possible the last of the stock this size was used up as Vacufold (with caveat that the thru-1948 Ingenue was about the size of the smaller model, maybe identical).

A comprehensive look at this era would entail integrating conventional Vacs that also have that special cap-band. There are some.

An area that needs more research, though such research will be difficult, as no literature is available.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 plmadding

plmadding

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hey David,

Thanks for that response! Don't worry I joined PCA very soon after I joined this board. I really am looking forward to the upcoming issue of PENnant. As the saying goes, "Truth is stranger than fiction," so the real reason the factory produced them could well be different than anything we might logically come up with.

Preston

#7 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

This is not the greatest picture - saved from an ebay listing - but it shows both sizes and all three colors.
Posted Image

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

This is not the greatest picture - saved from an ebay listing - but it shows both sizes and all three colors.

Hi Matt,

A nice shot, possibly by Nicholas, iirc, but...

I'd not use "all" and "three" together ;)

-d

Posted Image

#9 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

I'd not use "all" and "three" together ;)
-d

Perhaps Matt is from the "Black is not a color." crowd.?
JJ
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

I'm actually not thrilled with this shot. A rare one done with flash, it is a bit contrasty, and focus is so-so. Still....

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

Yeah, I forgot about black. Probably was thinking about the three colors of the (stripey) Duofold Sr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users