30 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

Had a nice time during my relatively brief visit (just 2 not 4 days this time) to the Chicago Pen Show May 2012. While in general there are many nice pens out there to be bought, and while I regularly buy stock and additions to my pen collection, there are not too many pens currently on my firm want list. At Chicago I added one I'd hunted for years. It is in nice shape, though I'll likely have lever replaced or re-chromed. A small thing, that.

The pen to follow is-- by contour-- a 1937-1941 original Sheaffer Crest. Some suggest Parker's 1940 Vacumatic Imperial owes something to it ;)

This one probably was not made all four years. I've had many Crests. Shot one of this sort a few years ago. But, never managed to score this variant for my collection before this weekend.

Care to comment on what is interesting?

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

'tisn't the sterling cap?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

'tisn't the sterling cap?

Yep. That's the core finding. Very uncommon Crest. Note too, the Sterling cap is catalogued with gray striped barrel, the only Crest so shown.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

Are other Crest bodies interchangeable with the cap?

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Are other Crest bodies interchangeable with the cap?

The 1937-1941 series (threads on end of section, open nib) full size pens (slender pens also were made) will physcially fit the cap... meaning black and brown barrels will fit. But, the pens are catalogued with gray barrels, unlike all other cap types. So, the barrel is about as rare as the cap.

regards

david

Posted Image

#6 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

That's a great find, David! Wasn't the sterling version of the Crest called the Crescent? Or would that refer to a sterling body and cap? I've been looking for a Crescent, but haven't seen a hint of one, yet.

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

That's a great find, David! Wasn't the sterling version of the Crest called the Crescent? Or would that refer to a sterling body and cap? I've been looking for a Crescent, but haven't seen a hint of one, yet.

Well, in '37 it was too early to be called a Crest. I've never heard of a Sheaffer called a "Crescent" but, I wouldn't rule it out as a later thing. Sterling was only cataloged in 1937 so there isn't the option of Crescent popping up before the war so such a thing wouldn't be a balance. I was tempted to say you were just making stuff up but, there is lots I don't know about balances. I'm not familiar with a sterling bodied balance come to think of it - just the cap.

Roger W.

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Well, in '37 it was too early to be called a Crest. snip
Roger W.

Was it originally just called the Deluxe? That's what's shown in the only '37 ad (3 different lots, same ad) currently on ebay.

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi Jon,

Unless you've seen something I haven't (always possible), you might be mixing your Sheaffers and Conklins ;)

Too, as Roger mentioned above, I'm not aware of an all-sterling Crest. Sometime soon will shoot the catalogue page.

regards

david

Posted Image

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well, in '37 it was too early to be called a Crest. I've never heard of a Sheaffer called a "Crescent" but, I wouldn't rule it out as a later thing. Sterling was only cataloged in 1937 so there isn't the option of Crescent popping up before the war so such a thing wouldn't be a balance. I was tempted to say you were just making stuff up but, there is lots I don't know about balances. I'm not familiar with a sterling bodied balance come to think of it - just the cap.

Roger W.

Crest wasn't called Crest in first appearance?

Now I must pull my 1937 catalogue. Later though. Still recovering from both 19 hour hospital shifts and Chicago Pen Show.

regards

d

Posted Image

#11 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

Nice find David, would look spectacular with the lever redone...not that it doesn't already look neat!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#12 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

Roger W.

Now I must pull my 1937 catalogue. Later though. Still recovering from both 19 hour hospital shifts and Chicago Pen Show.

regards

d

David;

In '37 there are merely 47T's with gray being P47T. No mention of Crest anywhere. In 1938 they are called Crests.

Roger W.

#13 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

After a little more consideration, what I thought I remembered was a comment from the "Masterpiece" thread that said that there was a sterling version of the Masterpiece called the Crescent, but that it was exceedingly uncommon. When I get home, I'll see if I have any notes about it on my computer there.

Regards,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Unless you've seen something I haven't (always possible), you might be mixing your Sheaffers and Conklins ;)

Too, as Roger mentioned above, I'm not aware of an all-sterling Crest. Sometime soon will shoot the catalogue page.

regards

david

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

After a little more consideration, what I thought I remembered was a comment from the "Masterpiece" thread that said that there was a sterling version of the Masterpiece called the Crescent, but that it was exceedingly uncommon. When I get home, I'll see if I have any notes about it on my computer there.

Regards,

Jon

Yer killin' me Rosen. Posted Image

You come up with info regarding either any sort of "Sheaffer Crescent" from this era or for an all-sterling Crest-family pen, and I'll send you a prize Posted Image

regards

d

Posted Image

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Roger W.

regards

d

David;

In '37 there are merely 47T's with gray being P47T. No mention of Crest anywhere. In 1938 they are called Crests.

Roger W.

Makes sense I guess in the global context of Sheaffer. Were not all model names (vs codes) first intro'd in 1938? Would make sense then that 1937 "Crests" would not yet be Crests. My bad

-d

Posted Image

#16 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

Wow, i love this pen! I want it.

#17 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Roger W.

OK, but is that the same pen? I mean: a sterling silver cap and gray pearl barrel Crest just not having this marketing name yet? I looked up the 1938 catalogue but don't have access to the 1937 one, that's why I ask.
TIA for the answer,
Mac

The fundamental substance is air. The soul is air; fire is rarefied air; when condensed, air becomes first water, then if further condensed, earth, and finally stone...

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Roger W.

OK, but is that the same pen? I mean: a sterling silver cap and gray pearl barrel Crest just not having this marketing name yet? I looked up the 1938 catalogue but don't have access to the 1937 one, that's why I ask.
TIA for the answer,
Mac

If both catalogues do show the silver-cap, gray-stripe pen, then yes, same pen different names. The core issue is that Unlike Parker, Sheaffer did not use much in way of model names during the 1930's until late in the game, possibly 1938 (my catalogues not with me either, but will use that info in the Sheaffer Timeline down the pike), so any pen shown in 1937 had model codes, in 1938 had a name. Statesman thus was not formally Statesman until 1938, but folks at times will map the terms backward, sometimes causing... contention ;)

regards

david

Posted Image

#19 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

I hope to find one of these undisclosed to the public soon, as i cant afford the ~$900 price.

#20 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Roger W.

TIA for the answer,
Mac

Mac;

It is essentially a crest if you want to think of it that way but, the sterling cap was only available in the 1937 catalog where they were called P47T and that is the only name they had. Sheaffer rarely had names for pens before the late 30's so it would properly be called by it's model number.

Roger W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users