3 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

While browsing one of the few decent selections of vintage pens in Sydney ( run by Bill Newman who may be known to some here) I came across an aluminium pen, warranted nib , generic straight clip attached with screw in (?) peaked plastic end , lever fill etc. Was marked on the barrel "Home (lite?)" , should have written that bit down...pat. pending and made in England. My first thought was a late 40's pen but Bill places it in the 30's and I guess the general shape ( Summit style? to give a basic idea S175 size, a fairly big pen ) would enforce Bill's view. In general appeared well made and in this case also excellent condition appearing dent free ( which would be rare for an aluminium I would think).

Haven't seen one before , any thoughts?

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

While browsing one of the few decent selections of vintage pens in Sydney ( run by Bill Newman who may be known to some here) I came across an aluminium pen, warranted nib , generic straight clip attached with screw in (?) peaked plastic end , lever fill etc. Was marked on the barrel "Home (lite?)" , should have written that bit down...pat. pending and made in England. My first thought was a late 40's pen but Bill places it in the 30's and I guess the general shape ( Summit style? to give a basic idea S175 size, a fairly big pen ) would enforce Bill's view. In general appeared well made and in this case also excellent condition appearing dent free ( which would be rare for an aluminium I would think).

Regards
Hugh

Hugh,

I can give you some help, courtesy of my friend Steve Hull's book 'The English Fountain Pen Industry 1875 - 1975' - and for anybody interested in English pens, especially the more obscure brands, you must have this book, most of the information it contains is not to be found anywhere else! It is a limited edition of 100 and there aren't that many left.

The pen you are referring to is the Homelink, made by Kagan & Co. of Edgware (probably better known for their pre-war glass nibbed Tip-Toe Stylo). Trust your own instincts, you were absolutely right about the date, the Homelink was first advertised in 1947. As well as the plain aluminium finish you refer to, it was also supposedly available in 'brilliant anodised gold, ruby, green, blue, jet black and many other attractive colours'. I have certainly never seen one (though that doesn't mean anything) but the 1947 advertisement referred to is probably the last appearance of Kagans in the trade press, so I would assume that it wasn't produced for very long and is hence fairly rare, though of course not necessarily valuable. From the way you phrased your query, I guess you didn't snap it up at the time. Shame!

Andy

Edited by AndyR, 24 May 2012 - 07:37 AM.

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Thanks Andy,

I passed on it for the simple reason I've decided to (try to) be financially prudent and only buy within my areas of interest ( I did pick up a nice Aust Sheaffer Imperial VIII ), was sorely tempted though . Not a high asking price either, if interested I can provide Bills details.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#4 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Regards
Hugh

Hugh,

I can give you some help, courtesy of my friend Steve Hull's book 'The English Fountain Pen Industry 1875 - 1975' - and for anybody interested in English pens, especially the more obscure brands, you must have this book, most of the information it contains is not to be found anywhere else! It is a limited edition of 100 and there aren't that many left.

The pen you are referring to is the Homelink, made by Kagan & Co. of Edgware (probably better known for their pre-war glass nibbed Tip-Toe Stylo). Trust your own instincts, you were absolutely right about the date, the Homelink was first advertised in 1947. As well as the plain aluminium finish you refer to, it was also supposedly available in 'brilliant anodised gold, ruby, green, blue, jet black and many other attractive colours'. I have certainly never seen one (though that doesn't mean anything) but the 1947 advertisement referred to is probably the last appearance of Kagans in the trade press, so I would assume that it wasn't produced for very long and is hence fairly rare, though of course not necessarily valuable. From the way you phrased your query, I guess you didn't snap it up at the time. Shame!

Andy

I actually just got in a Homelink, but sadly its missing the clip and nib. I have another aluminum pen though, with no barrel markings, and ill have to check the nib, but it has a rounded finial, and is very similar is style to the Homelink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users