• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

If a Fifth Avenue schematic is floating around, is there also something similar for the late '40s Eversharp CA Retractable ball point? I have one that extends the refill ok, but it won't stay locked in the out position. The mechanism in the cap is topped by a big flat head screw, but it just seems to spin when I try to unscrew it.
Posted Image

I found this picture at penlibrary.com, but the mechanism has a solid end, not a flat head screw and my barrel has a slot, not a round hole near the open end. Shows quite well how deeply the barrel screws into the cap (the aluminum-colored piece near the top is threaded), but how does the mechanism come out? And yes, that spring is tapered.

Posted Image

Edited by matt, 21 June 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#2 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

The Slim Jim seems to have basically the same mechanism.
Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

From penlibrary.com, the Eberhard Faber Masterstroke, showing the same mechanism as mine (note the clear plastic sleeve on the refill; typical is black)

Posted Image

Edited by matt, 21 June 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Even if no one else gives a hoot about the Eversharp CA Retractable, I'm adding two really nice photos of the mechanism from a Pentrace posting by Jose Antonio Prieto on June 10. My pen appears not to lock in the extended position (the position shown below) because the "cam" in the slot above the cog wheel wants to rotate outward - if I push the cam down flush as shown below, it does lock.

Posted Image

And a view of the other side of the mechamism. What a complicated mess.

Posted Image

What I especially like about this site compared to Pentrace is that threads don't scroll off into oblivion and when someone adds to the thread, it goes back to the "top" so I hope I can be forgiven for usng someone else's pictures (before they scroll off into oblivion).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users