• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Im not sure what Sheaffer this is and what's the proper cap?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

Im not sure what Sheaffer this is and what's the proper cap?

It is a Sheaffer tip dip and with the grey cap it is a Cadet. If I am making out the rings on the metal cap that would make it a Craftsman. So either cap is proper.

Roger W.

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Thank you Roger!

#4 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

If you guys could help, it would be much appreciated. Not pictures is a Sheaffer with Sheaffer Jr. on the clip with no white dot... just a regular Sheaffer Jr? Than you helped me with identifying the above Sheaffer, what do you think has more value, Cadet or Craftsman (Craftsman restored about $50, Cadet less)? Than what Jade Sheaffer is this (sorry for bad picture, getting dark over in the glove)? It's a little less than 4 1/2 inches....

Posted Image

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

If you guys could help, it would be much appreciated. Not pictures is a Sheaffer with Sheaffer Jr. on the clip with no white dot... just a regular Sheaffer Jr? Than you helped me with identifying the above Sheaffer, what do you think has more value, Cadet or Craftsman (Craftsman restored about $50, Cadet less)? Than what Jade Sheaffer is this (sorry for bad picture, getting dark over in the glove)? It's a little less than 4 1/2 inches....

The are several styles of Sheaffer Junior so marked Jr. so your guess is as good as mine though none of them would have white dots. As to the jade that has a couple possibilities but, I make out lifetime on the tag. Post 1930 with a hump clip. Looks short and thin so I'll say J74SC (Jade thin Short Clip). If you give me cap girth and overall length I can tell you exactly.

You do think tip dips valuable don't you? $50 tosh - I wouldn't give above a tenner for either style. I can get snorkels for $50 so why do you think a tip dip would be marked as high.

Roger W.

#6 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

Would you like pictures of the Jr.? It's black and thats about it. That was my tag i put on the Jade pen, but not realizing after looking at a Sheaffer site, im wrong :/ The cap is 14/32 on an inch and the bottom of the barrel is 10/32 on an inch. The Cadet/Craftsman was based on ebay sales, and what i think i could get for them. Roger, why do you think im selling them, i dont want them Posted Image

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

Would you like pictures of the Jr.? It's black and thats about it. That was my tag i put on the Jade pen, but not realizing after looking at a Sheaffer site, im wrong :/ The cap is 14/32 on an inch and the bottom of the barrel is 10/32 on an inch. The Cadet/Craftsman was based on ebay sales, and what i think i could get for them. Roger, why do you think im selling them, i dont want them Posted Image

I'm surprised that cadet/craftsman would bring $50 - maybe NOS with stickers otherwise it's a $10-$20 pen - I don't generally look at the sales board. I was right about the diameter being thin (should be closer to .48" or 15.5/32 but I'm guessing what you mean) so it is not a white dot and would be a J3-25SC most likely. The nib would be fairly telling - didn't realize you own this one.

Roger W.

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

I'm surprised that cadet/craftsman would bring $50 - maybe NOS with stickers otherwise it's a $10-$20 pen - I don't generally look at the sales board. I was right about the diameter being thin (should be closer to .48" or 15.5/32 but I'm guessing what you mean) so it is not a white dot and would be a J3-25SC most likely. The nib would be fairly telling - didn't realize you own this one.

Roger W.

The nib is a 3-25...

Why do you say you didn't realize i own this? Is it a scarce pen or something (i dont think so...)?

#9 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Roger W.

The nib is a 3-25...

Why do you say you didn't realize i own this? Is it a scarce pen or something (i dont think so...)?

This picture suggested it was in a pen case and inaccessible to you as it is in a bag. Not the sort of picture I expect from someone that can take whatever pic they wish. It is not a scarce pen but it is a late pen for the size in jade. Jade was always reserved for the big pens not being used in a 46 (precursor to the 3-25) until late 1926 - a clear two years after jade was used in larger pens. And then again not in a 3-25 until 1930 another two years after they introduced the limited guarantee lines. So you don't see a lot of the small pens in jade but, they are around. The best thing is that changes were made in the small pens that relate to the lifetime line so that while the lifetime line was continuous certain date points can be seen. Like early radite is 1924 though late 1926 due to the radite being marked on the end of the barrel. Jade 3-25's were never marked so we know they stopped the practice in 1926 so a "first year" or early radite lifetime must have the source mark "C","D",or "F" at the end of the barrel. Just having lifetimes you can't ascertain that information. The little pens are useful.

Roger W.

#10 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Roger W.

The nib is a 3-25...

This picture suggested it was in a pen case and inaccessible to you as it is in a bag. Not the sort of picture I expect from someone that can take whatever pic they wish. It is not a scarce pen but it is a late pen for the size in jade. Jade was always reserved for the big pens not being used in a 46 (precursor to the 3-25) until late 1926 - a clear two years after jade was used in larger pens. And then again not in a 3-25 until 1930 another two years after they introduced the limited guarantee lines. So you don't see a lot of the small pens in jade but, they are around. The best thing is that changes were made in the small pens that relate to the lifetime line so that while the lifetime line was continuous certain date points can be seen. Like early radite is 1924 though late 1926 due to the radite being marked on the end of the barrel. Jade 3-25's were never marked so we know they stopped the practice in 1926 so a "first year" or early radite lifetime must have the source mark "C","D",or "F" at the end of the barrel. Just having lifetimes you can't ascertain that information. The little pens are useful.

Roger W.

Roger,

I really appreciate the info. So the Jade 3-25 was only a one year sort of pen? Im always seeing two bands, im not having much lucky seeing alot of single band Sheaffers. Here are some more photo's to look at. What do you feel a value is?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Oh, I didn't mean to indicate it was one year. It came out in the 1930 catalog and was probably made through much of the 30's though in real low quantities as all flattops were that are late. Balances were approaching 70% of Sheaffer sales in '29 (their first full year) so flattops were just a small niche that Sheaffer still catered to. Your barrel has it's problems but, most of these 3-25's are not stellar. I'd say it was worth $50-$75 being the shorter pen - the J3-25C (no S) would do better being the full length.

Roger W.

#12 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

Oh, I didn't mean to indicate it was one year. It came out in the 1930 catalog and was probably made through much of the 30's though in real low quantities as all flattops were that are late. Balances were approaching 70% of Sheaffer sales in '29 (their first full year) so flattops were just a small niche that Sheaffer still catered to. Your barrel has it's problems but, most of these 3-25's are not stellar. I'd say it was worth $50-$75 being the shorter pen - the J3-25C (no S) would do better being the full length.

Roger W.

Thanks Roger,

I was thinking the same, seeing one did not sell for $88, unrestored or restored i dont know.

#13 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

Roger,

Here is that Black Sheaffer Jr. i was mentioning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users