3 replies to this topic

#1 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have already posted this over at Lion and Pen, but thought I would post here as well, hoping some of you might have some thoughts on this late 1800s, short lived Company. I have also added George Kovalenko's thoughtful reply ~ Perhaps a topic for the next Janesville Pen Meeting....

...... it reminded me of an old ad that I have had sitting around for a while, waiting for some research. It dates to 1898, and Milton Junction, WI, just NE of Janesville. It (as seen below from McLure's Magazine) dates to 1898 and touts Hulls A1 Fountain Pen. What notes I do have show that several Hull names were in Milton in the late 1800s, though I have found no mention of Pen Production (Hull Mfg. Co).

Adding to the intrigue is the Hull connection at Parker Pen in nearby Janesville later on. In Philip Hull's memoir of his time at Parker, I see no connection and in searching back through his online genealogy, it appears that he was from the Milton area, but his parents were listed as farmers.

My question is if anyone has information on this pen and Company. Was there really a pen made for a short time in Milton Junction, or was this a Parker Pen, sold by Hull? Thanks to anyone that has information on this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"That's a great find, Phil. Around 2007-8, Len Provisor wrote to me that he was particularly interested in the history of Parker ink, and according to him, Hull Mfg. Co. in Milton Junction was the company that, early on, was supplying Parker with their bottled inks, although the ink itself was probably made by Sanford, or Carter. And then George S. Parker apparently bought Hull around 1910. But your ad proves that they were also marketing, perhaps also manufacturing, their own fountain pens. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they made their own pens. Mike Kirk wrote on Zoss on Sept 23, 2007 that he found "an extremely fine specimen" of an eyedropper pen imprinted simply "Milton, WI", but no company name, so it's a mystery.

Michael Fultz once told me that there were quite a few fountain pen companies in Janesville and area. These include Burdick, Corona, Deadlock, Green, Held, Hull, Klymax, Love, Perry, Safford, H. B. Smith, Valentine, and Williamson. Some of these were in Janesville, while others were in Milton, Wis., or Milton Junction, Wis., and Zion, Ill., and some later moved to Chicago. He also mentioned Ryter, but he may have meant Ruyter in Chicago.

Back in August 2003, I found a complete list of all the Parker Pen Co. employees in Janesville from the year 1931, a list of 637 names! I was quite surprised to find out that they employed that many people in Janesville alone. The list includes the Parker sons Kenneth and Russell, but George S. Parker is curiously missing from the list. After doing some more searching, I found his name listed, but not in connection with the Parker Pen Co. Instead, he is listed as vice-president of the Merchants & Savings Bank. All the Parker job descriptions and occupations are listed, including such designations as "pen grinder", "machine operator", "tool maker", "repairman", and "patent attorney". About 13-14 employees are listed as living in Milton Junction, and a few more in Milton as well. There are also many listed as living on Milton Ave. within Janesville. It's a fascinating snapshot of the company for that year." (George Kovaleno's response at Lion and Pen)
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image

Edited by philm, 15 August 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi Phil,

Thanks for nice review. I have nothing of substance to add on this topic. I believe Dave Johannsen follows Wisconsin based pens.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

<snip>
Mike Kirk wrote on Zoss on Sept 23, 2007 that he found "an extremely fine specimen" of an eyedropper pen imprinted simply "Milton, WI", but no company name, so it's a mystery.

Hi Phil

I did, indeed, post that on said date, however, my email archives are sketchy at best going back that far. I do recall the exchange I had as a result. Mike Fultz emailed me backchannel and we had a short conversation about this. As I recall, my Zoss post was premature on my part as I pulled out the pen and examined it closer to discover the "Perry" pen company imprint. Don't know how I could miss it as it was very clear. The photos are still posted on my Photobucket account, seen here in the album. Mike was interested in the pen but not enough to own it so it stayed in my possession. I still have it in my collection.

Mike sent me a copyrighted scan (which is why I'm not posting it) of a document showing "The Perry Pen Company, Milton, Wisc, WM. K. Davis, Prop."...with some photos of produced pens and the building that housed the pen company as well as Mr. Davis' newspaper and printing office.

I can't provide any further information on the Hull company but this is certainly intriguing to say the least. Your McClure's Ad is very good quality. I'd look forward to anything that arises with your post so don't forget to cross post if you get replies in Lion & Pen. :)

Best regards,
Mike

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#4 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Mike,

Thank you for the information and photos related to the Milton, Wisconsin Perry Pen. I had read the name in a reference book, but had never seen an example. Clearly Mike Fultz had a great knowledge of this area and its pens. Your pen reminds me of some Century's that I have seen. Surely, the pen business at the turn of the century was a bit crowded in the Janesville area. It is amazing to me how many of these tiny pen Companies were around during the time leading up to WWI, and the Great Depression. I have a picture in my mind, perhaps flawed, of many of these small Companies, perhaps just families and friends, getting together to assemble this new invention, the fountain pen, in hopes of striking it rich, Most, like Perry and Hull, and Rentz (whom I have researched here in MN), of course disappeared withing short periods of time. To find one of their examples, is quite rare.

Back to Hull. I have reached out to some of Philip Hull's descendants to see if they have any family history on this. They are checking around to see if anyone within the family can recall anything. As for the advertisement, it is somewhat surprising that a small local company would advertise nationally in McLure's. Perhaps they were larger than I think. If the Lion and Pen thread by George is correct, then they were manufacturing ink for Parker until 1910, when Parker purchased them. This would be a 12 year period from the McLure's advertisement until the sale to Parker. Interesting stuff....

I will keep sniffing around.

Phil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users