5 replies to this topic

#1 grandmia

grandmia

journeyman

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi all
I am considering starting a UK Pen Club with a web site and may be even arrange a pen show here in the North West,would you be interested ?
If so what would interest you to join the site and what would you like to see ?

Many thanks
Stef.

#2 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: We already have a UK pen club in the Writing Equipment Society. Given that the numbers of pen fanciers in Britain are not exactly huge, why would you want to split the effort between two clubs? Do you believe that another club is required because the WES is deficient in some way? If so, I would suggest that the way to fix it is from within. If not, why do we need another club?

Regards,

#3 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'm in full agreement with Deb. The WES is a well-run organisation now and it meets all my needs. Nor do I want to go to any more pen shows. I already go to about three per year in the UK and see the same dealers with virtually the same stock at each show so why would I want to go to another? I understand the present regional shows struggle somewhat to get buyers through the door, so there just isn't the demand.

Andy

#4 Paul R. M.

Paul R. M.

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I might well be interested, living on the west coast of Scotland I feel very out of touch and, indeed, isolated at times; my perception, which I accept may be inaccurate, of the WES is that it is primarily a southern organisation with little to offer me in the north.

The WES website, whilst somewhat informative, is obviously, and correctly, aimed at it's members with some content being members only; although I have given serious thought to joining I have decided against it as I would not be able to participate at meaningful level simply due to distance.

An organisation in the north west of England would at least be theoretically more accessible for me, although travelling is not something I am able to undertake easily,

Obviously the ideal for me would be a pen club in the Glasgow area, I am aware of activity in the Edinburgh area, but thus far I have been unable to discover such a thing.

Paul

#5 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

I might well be interested, living on the west coast of Scotland I feel very out of touch and, indeed, isolated at times; my perception, which I accept may be inaccurate, of the WES is that it is primarily a southern organisation with little to offer me in the north.

The WES website, whilst somewhat informative, is obviously, and correctly, aimed at it's members with some content being members only; although I have given serious thought to joining I have decided against it as I would not be able to participate at meaningful level simply due to distance.

An organisation in the north west of England would at least be theoretically more accessible for me, although travelling is not something I am able to undertake easily,

Obviously the ideal for me would be a pen club in the Glasgow area, I am aware of activity in the Edinburgh area, but thus far I have been unable to discover such a thing.

Paul

Just two comments - firstly, the WES is genuinely trying to become less Southern-centric, the chairman lives in the north west of England and understands this. Secondly, the annual subscription gets you three copies of the Journal per year, access to the archives and the list of members with their collecting interests, all of which are worthwhile. I very occasionally go to the AGM, I've only attended one meeting in about 12 years (and that was when I was part of the presentation) but despite this I still feel I get value for my subscription.

Andy

#6 grandmia

grandmia

journeyman

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hi all

Thank you all for your comments.All very interesting...

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users