4 replies to this topic

#1 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Well Dallas pen show didn't pan out, but maybe pen gods smiling anyway.

Could've bought a decent camera (as photo quality shows)

But these will be far more fun! ; )

And it's also the entire pen budget for 2012...

Questions though, so not just show-n-tell.

(Yes the photo isn't very good, but pointers on how might rate them.)

1.) Overlay looks good to me... no major scratches or dents. Doesn't look to have much 'desk wear' or whatever term is for minor abrasions assoc. w/age. No red left on the bottom & maybe a little worn in one place. Barrel nice & dark. From another topic-- no black came off on a piece of flannel! ; )

2.) Overlay looks nice & crisp to me at least. Again, no dents, scratches or 'desk wear.' Barrel nice & black, but no red left either. Globe on SF looks nice & crisp.

3.) Overlay not quite as crisp to my amateur eye at least. It has slight dent on cap & minor abrasions. Barrel is oxidized. Red is left on the bottom (if that's even something to look for in Watermans.

So... any observations / opinions welcome.

thx

-- Bruce

Posted Image

#2 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Very nice silver overlays! A sleeve filler ad a 412...?

#3 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yes. I was going to list the models but figured with this crowd they'd know at a glance!

The 412SF is interesting because it may or may not have the correct nib. (Has "reg'd pat" stamped on it. None of my other pens from this time period have that stamp. Only ones from the c.mid 20's)

Also of interest is a warning I read at either Richardspens or Vintagepens. The caveat was sleeve fillers can show up with replacement caps from eyedroppers. Fairly certain the *cap* is authentic (when compared to the few in collection, but then there's that nagging question about correct time period for nib.

Hopefully others can help here or maybe I need better photos!

--Bruce

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Well Dallas pen show didn't pan out, but maybe pen gods smiling anyway.

Could've bought a decent camera (as photo quality shows)

But these will be far more fun! ; )

And it's also the entire pen budget for 2012...

Questions though, so not just show-n-tell.

(Yes the photo isn't very good, but pointers on how might rate them.)

1.) Overlay looks good to me... no major scratches or dents. Doesn't look to have much 'desk wear' or whatever term is for minor abrasions assoc. w/age. No red left on the bottom & maybe a little worn in one place. Barrel nice & dark. From another topic-- no black came off on a piece of flannel! ; )

2.) Overlay looks nice & crisp to me at least. Again, no dents, scratches or 'desk wear.' Barrel nice & black, but no red left either. Globe on SF looks nice & crisp.

3.) Overlay not quite as crisp to my amateur eye at least. It has slight dent on cap & minor abrasions. Barrel is oxidized. Red is left on the bottom (if that's even something to look for in Watermans.

So... any observations / opinions welcome.

thx

-- Bruce

Hi Bruce,

A nice haul to say the least. In the limited photos, the pens seem reasonably clean. The winner of the bunch is the middle pen. Overlay sleeve-filler Watermans are quite uncommon. Of course, Waterman overlays in general is an overwhelming niche to pursue. So many sizes, metals, patterns, so much evolution of features. A lifetime of collecting can be found there, and a lifetime probably would not suffice for many people.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Sleeve filler certainly cost the most! Prefer silver, but the 0552½ just kind of came up. 412 came off the bay for $167 so major damage there.

As for Waterman overlays. Yep! Trying to learn the history feels overwhelming at times. Getting all the patterns? Dream on...

They're fun to hunt for though. Goal is to have one model for "Ivy" pattern at least, so that's what? Coin filler (even more difficult to find & fakes out there?) & PSF?

That ought to take me a while.

thx

--Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users