• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

This probably isn't rare or even uncommon, but it certainly is beautiful. Any guesses at to how much it will go for? ( I would snatch this up for under $260.)

Green Vacumatic DJ

Edited by Will, 12 October 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#2 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

I've been watching that one, too. The same seller has a red set that is almost identical and also looks great. I just received a Conklin Overlay Crescent Filler from them yesterday. Even though this seller seems to usually have the disclaimer that it will need a new sac (or diaphragm) if you want to use it, the pens I have bought from them (at least 3 - maybe more) have all had new sacs and worked fine. I opened the Conklin up and the sac looked absolutely new. This is a good seller - they have top quality pens.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#3 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

the red one has an incorrect nib though. still beautiful though.

#4 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

Guess I didn't look closely enough. Didn't notice that.

Regards,
Allan

#5 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

My, my, that seller certainly has some lovely items. Ima gonna go rob a bank. :)

#6 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Just went back and looked at it again. You did mean this one ?

Red Vac Set

I don't know Vacs very well. Other than the fact this one isn't 2-tone (which could mean it was polished, I would think), what makes this one incorrect? It does have 8 feathers per side and the green one has 7 - is that it?

Regards,
Allan

#7 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Date code on the nib of the red one is the same as the pen body...
I don't say the nib is wrong, just that the plating is worn off... not an uncommon occurrence
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#8 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Date code on the nib of the red one is the same as the pen body...
I don't say the nib is wrong, just that the plating is worn off... not an uncommon occurrence

nice to know. did parker use the same nibs for the low and high cachet vacs?--simply plating the higher cachet nibs with platinum?

#9 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

the earlier vacs had two-tone nibs, and sometimes they trickled down to some later vacs. a two-tone vac nib does (to me) suggest an earlier vac and very generally greater collectibility (of course there's the rest of the pen to take into account).
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#10 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

does the vac quack (or any others) have any guesses as to the final price of this pen?

#11 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Great pen set! Reminds me of a few pens I had recently that were in similar condition; quite minty!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

#12 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

my guess will be $250 max. we'll find out soon.

#13 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

ohhh.. that would be sweet!

#14 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

it's not impossible--put in your bid, anyway. i have exactly this green vac standard in mint condition, and it cost me a whole lot less (something like $60), but that's ebay for you ;) good luck!

#15 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

but I'm torn. Gary Leher has a restored Nearmint+ golden pearl with really nice barrel clarity, two tone nib, engraved though--for $150. there is also this: Duofold I would have to sell my paragon to fund this. I don't know if I want to do that.

#16 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

there is also this: Duofold I would have to sell my paragon to fund this. I don't know if I want to do that.

This guy will take an offer and that's good, because I think $195 is too high for this set IMHO. Reasons are:

1. The color is decent, but that's a long way from "great".

2. This is a junior, so value comes down some.

3. The pen needs restoration. In addition to a new sac, the nib and feed definitely need to be reset.

If you can get the guy to go $125, you could have a total of $200 or less in it after the restoration work is done. Again, just MHO.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

Here's Davey's view.

As best I can tell, the pen is a Vac Standard.

I sell true excellent (my grading standards, feel free to peek at them) Emerald Pearl 1st Gen Vac Standard (pen), fully restored with one year function warranty, from my retail web site... around $260.

I will leave it to you to determine then if this was "an ebay bargain", "supra-retail", "full retail", or "time for David to raise his prices, given the warranty and context of his retail sales" :rolleyes:

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

but I'm torn. Gary Leher has a restored Nearmint+ golden pearl with really nice barrel clarity, two tone nib, engraved though--for $150. there is also this: Duofold I would have to sell my paragon to fund this. I don't know if I want to do that.

Gizz tends to sell fairly graded pens. I have bought some nice things there over the years.

I do note this pen appears to be a Duofold Juniorette (smallest save for the Vest Pocket, which has added cachet), that color is nice but not superb and (I'm guessing, as didn't read closely) not restored with warranty.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#19 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

Well, this thread seems to have gotten a bit sidetracked. I almost replied to David's last post questioning him about why he was calling a Vac set a Duofold Juniorette. Anyway, I would sort of like to get back to the original Vac set that started the post.

This is one reason I don't really collect Vacumatics. I can't tell which damn model any of them are. If I look on Richard Binder's site, for instance, I would determine that this pen was a Vac Major - assuming the dimensions stated by the seller were correct. I have purchased 3 pens from this seller, so I think they probably are correct.

I did bid on both of these sets, but I wasn't willing to go as high as the final selling price. Honestly, I have looked on some of the websites, including yours David, and I have not really seen any pens like this for such a cheap price as some of you have said.

Just sayin' ..........

Edited by Procyon, 15 October 2012 - 04:30 AM.

Regards,
Allan

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

SNIP

Honestly, I have looked on some of the websites, including yours David, and I have not really seen any pens like this for such a cheap price as some of you have said.

Just sayin' ..........

Hi Proc,

The pen is a Standard not a Major, both nice models of course.

Here is link to the Sold Pens Archive at Vacumania (largest archive of priced sold old pens on earth): Scan for these numbers for Vac Stdandard

http://www.vacumania.com/websitesales/soldpensparkervacumatic.htm

2892 Standard Silver Pearl Excelletn $235
2867 BUrgundy (better color, slightly less than *my* excellent) $285
3206 Emerald Pearl Excellent $260
3216 Silver Pearl Excellent $235
3165 Golden Pearl Excellent $260
2461 Burg Pearl XF condition $285
2358 Golden Pearl. XF condition but monster nib $285

And oodles more so sold (I just scanned backwards the last 1000 or so pens sold)

Should have more Standards up next couple-few months, with warranty and with my grading standards... ;)

regards

d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users