3 replies to this topic

#1 Chi Town

Chi Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi, Can anyone guide me on how to remove the nib on a Montegrappa Miya? I see that it cannot be "punched" out as it has a little nipple on the end and it would Obiviously break if hit with an instrument. So to me, that leaves heat, or twisting ( right or left) or pulling.
Thanks for any help,Mike

Mike

Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Vintage Fountain Pen's, , Marlen Yellow Liberty LE 113/382, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather,  president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club ca; 2010

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

You are correct - you can not punch the nib and feed out a you would with a vintage pen. The only way to remove a modern nib and feed is to pull them out, wiggling a bit to help the process along. A run through an ultrasonic can help to loosed or remove in which might be holding it in the section. Be careful with heat. Too much heat on a plastic feed (dry heat in particular) can distort the plastic and ruin the feed.

Don't twist the nib and feed either. Some modern feeds are keyed in the section either with a ridge, or by the shape of the inside wall of the collar, because they are designed to screw into the section. Twist, and you can bend the nib and/or snap the feed.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#3 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

I would only add that some modern nibs have prongs that attach it to the feed--- others are separate so don't try pulling/wiggling just the nib out unless you are certain the model has a totally separate nib and feed.

#4 Chi Town

Chi Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks folks....I got as far as removing the nib/feed from the aluminum section as it was screwed in. Now it looks like a special tool is needed? But maybe I am just at the point of where Ron Ron is talking about to Pull and or wiggle the nib and feed out? I should post a picture to show you all where I am at, huh? I should say that what I was wanting to accomplish with pulling out the nib/ feed, was to deepen/ widen the feed channel for better ink flow as this is such a dry pen! This is not an uncommon issue ( being a dry pen ) as I understand it with this model pen.

Edited by Chi Town, 15 October 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Mike

Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Vintage Fountain Pen's, , Marlen Yellow Liberty LE 113/382, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather,  president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club ca; 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users