26 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Greg, that's some fine repair workmanship! Any other nib.....I'd have written off. It opens my eyes to an entirely new view of repairing nibs. Never "write 'em off" is now my new motto. :rolleyes:
I'll keep you in my address book for sure.

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#22 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

Nice work Greg. Saving this nib is pretty much the only option. Finding a replacement for a Black Giant would be like hen's teeth, with a significant cost involved. Well done.

Noting of course that a Parker Lucky Curve 12 nib fits more than just the Parker Black Giant ;)

regards

d

The pen is actually a black Giant pen from a client who found it at a yard sale in upstate New York about 2 months ago. She is going to put it in a shadow box and display the pen with some family memetoesPosted Image

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Well,
There was a Giant with a cracked nib on ebay a few weeks back. The nib and section look quite similar.
eBay Black Giant

Yep, that's precisely what I was thinking when I saw the original photo. It's not a yard sale pen. It's the pen from the ebay auction. Interesting.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#23 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

:unsure: :blink: that looks like the same pen to me....

Wazzup wit dat?

Found out that the person bought it on eBay for sure, and said that the "seller" found it at a garage sale; so I had the story twisted a bit from the current owner, who emailed me later. Please accept my apologies!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Oops, should have read the rest of the thread before responding. Thanks for the clarification.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#24 csikora

csikora

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Nice work Greg. Saving this nib is pretty much the only option. Finding a replacement for a Black Giant would be like hen's teeth, with a significant cost involved. Well done.

Noting of course that a Parker Lucky Curve 12 nib fits more than just the Parker Black Giant ;)

regards

d

The pen is actually a black Giant pen from a client who found it at a yard sale in upstate New York about 2 months ago. She is going to put it in a shadow box and display the pen with some family memetoesPosted Image

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Well,
There was a Giant with a cracked nib on ebay a few weeks back. The nib and section look quite similar.
eBay Black Giant

Found out that the person bought it on eBay for sure, and said that the "seller" found it at a garage sale; so I had the story twisted a bit from the owner of the pen right now, who emailed me later. Please accept my apologies!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

It is absolutely wonderful that the nib was so expertly repaired and another BG was saved from the parts box. You truly do some amazing work, Greg....a consummate craftsman.

#25 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thank you for your great comments! I appreciate it very much!

Its so nice to be on this forum, with such wonderful and supportive, and professional folks. I promise more photos of repairs in the near future!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

#26 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Greg, that's some fine repair workmanship! Any other nib.....I'd have written off. It opens my eyes to an entirely new view of repairing nibs. Never "write 'em off" is now my new motto. :rolleyes:
I'll keep you in my address book for sure.

Yes, don't write off any nib for repair! This was for sure a challenge, getting the bead and weld just right, and believe me, the practice I have done in the last two years sure helped!Posted Image

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

#27 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

It always amazes me what pen repair people can do. I'm a bit afraid to mess with nibs because I'm always afraid I'll make the problem worse, so this is even more amazing. I'm fearing having to take on my BHR eye dropper that refuses to write because of a wonky nib.
>>>My Blog<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users