4 replies to this topic

#1 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I bought a full sterling covered Waterman safety pen a little while ago (see link here) and there are a few things I'd like to address on it. Firstly, I'm sure the seals are bad in the back, and I would like to replace them, but I don't know how to take the back end apart. The full sterling overlay covers the pin that needs knocked out. On a normal (non-overlay) pen, this pin is readily accessible. How do I get to the seals on the full sterling overlay pen?

Also, The telescoping cap won't come apart no matter how hard I pull. Any ideas to loosen it up?

#2 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

PUt some water in it for awhile and let it soak. Warm the back end with a heat gun a little. Run the nib out and unscrew the back end above the knob. David Nishimura has some good instructions on his website. You have to keep running the nib out as you unscrew it.
Jim

#3 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

Since the safety pens are hard rubber, I'd be weary about soaking them in water for too long. Usually just some good heat will loosen up the back end so it can be unscrewed. The problem I am having this time, though, is with the pin that needs driven out from the back end. Once you have the back end unscrewed from the body, there is a crescent shaped piece you have to punch out (seen on the left pen in the photo below) but in the case of the full sterling overlay pen, the crescent piece is covered with sterling, and can't be punched out (see the pen on the right)
Posted Image

#4 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

Just to clarify: I did say IN the pen. Not much different than putting ink in it.

#5 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I got the repair accomplished last night. After speaking with Richard Binder at the Atlanta show, he suggested that I heat the back end of the pen and pull the turning knob off of the shaft. It took a little while and a bit of wiggling, but I got it to come off eventually. Then it was just a matter of putting in some Nishimura o-rings and reassembling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users