Photo

suggestion : Tapatalk-can we have it here st FPB?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hi David

I would like to make a suggestion:

I have been using tapatalk in some other forums I'm a member and its quite good. Could admin consider allowing it's use here?

The generic version in very good, free to install, and compatible with ipboard forums.

I find it very handy to be able to follow my favorite forums and threads in my smartphone.

It can be used with Android, ios, windows phones and more.

Hope I'm posting in the correct place, if not please feel free to move it out delete.

A nice weekend to all.

Br

Vasco

Edited by piscov, 26 April 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi David

I woul like to make a suggestion:

I have been using tapatalk in some other forums I'm a member and its quite good. Could admin consider allowing it's use here?

The generic version in very good, free to install, and compatible with ipboard forums.
SNIP

Br

Vasco

Hi Vasco,

I certainly don't object in principle. Couple questions/challenges.

First what is Tapatalk?

Second, I'm a bit leery of add-ons at the moment, given what is happening at FPN. Some of their Admins have serious computer skills (I don't) and their board still has been down at length. What risks would Tapatalk offer?

Third, FPB right now runs on a couple year old version of IPB. Works fine, and I've seen no reason to upgrade every three months. Indeed, the frequent upgrades might be source of instability. Do we know that Tapatalk will work with slightly older versions of boardware?

Happy to hear more. Hope you guys will stick around a bit even once that other board is working again ;)

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'm told Tapatalk is an app that you download on your mobile device that works with an application that runs on the server end to make mobile viewing easier.

I use the classic mode on my IOS devices and have never figured out what advantage I would get from the app. I recall that FPN stated it would cost them to deploy the enabled version and that the cost was not insignificant.

I still don't really see why I would need it though it seems to make navigation and posting easier for those that don't have a real computer or a real network connection.

T

#4 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi Vasco,

I certainly don't object in principle. Couple questions/challenges.

First what is Tapatalk?

Second, I'm a bit leery of add-ons at the moment, given what is happening at FPN. Some of their Admins have serious computer skills (I don't) and their board still has been down at length. What risks would Tapatalk offer?

Third, FPB right now runs on a couple year old version of IPB. Works fine, and I've seen no reason to upgrade every three months. Indeed, the frequent upgrades might be source of instability. Do we know that Tapatalk will work with slightly older versions of boardware?

Happy to hear more. Hope you guys will stick around a bit even once that other board is working again ;)

regards

david

Hi David,

I must say I very happy with FPB, the environment is great, the level of posts is awesome, and admin respond with lightning fast speed!!! Thank you!!

Count me to stay and participate. I will be intervening more in the European brands forum, cause they are my main focus of collection. I am here to stay!!

I am no expert on IT, so most of your questions I cannot be of great help...

According to Tapatalk FAQS:

"Tapatalk is a mobile app built specifically for forum access. Different from mobile skin or mobile version that comes with the forum system, Tapatalk allows user to have a unified interface to access multiple forums at the same time. With million of Tapatalk users, your forum can be discovered by potential new members through Tapatalk Network and our ranking and recommendation system."

For me is an easy android app that allows me to follow my favorite forums, threads and even get instant notification each time someone respond to one of those threads.

Maybe we have here in FPB more savy IT guys than me that could clarify David's pertinent questions!!

Here is a link to tapatalk web page:

http://www.tapatalk.com/

BR

Vasco

Edited by piscov, 26 April 2013 - 07:28 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

#5 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm told Tapatalk is an app that you download on your mobile device that works with an application that runs on the server end to make mobile viewing easier.

I use the classic mode on my IOS devices and have never figured out what advantage I would get from the app. I recall that FPN stated it would cost them to deploy the enabled version and that the cost was not insignificant.

I still don't really see why I would need it though it seems to make navigation and posting easier for those that don't have a real computer or a real network connection.

T

Its very helpful and easy to use when you are away from your computer. its not good enough to post big things with lots of images, but very good for reading. But is far superior that the mobile version. The notification works great, once someone updates a post you receive a notification. Reading, responding and even browsing is much easier IMHO.

It has NO COST if the FPB uses the standard version, It only has costs if you want to have a custom made version. I really think there is no need for that. I use the friendly machinist forum and FPGeeks in my smartphone using tapatalk and works great. Both have the non paid version, o need to spend one dollar.

Only I as a user paid around 2,5 euros to buy the app on Google app store

In FPN they were discussing making a custom made tapatalk version, that why they add that cost discussion. My opinion its that the regular version is more than enough.

The way people use the internet is changing, more and more users are moving to mobile platforms like tablets and smartphones and that will for sure increase the FPB use and exposure and make users life easier, at no cost...

BR

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

#6 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Do we know that Tapatalk will work with slightly older versions of boardware?

Tapatalk can be use with full functionality with IPboard V3.1 and above, so I think its possible to use at FPB.

Best regards
Vasco

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Tapatalk can be use with full functionality with IPboard V3.1 and above, so I think its possible to use at FPB.

I'll peek. It might have to wait a bit though. The install might be more than I can do directly. Sometime soon I'll meet at pen show with one of our more computer savvy players.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#8 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'll peek. It might have to wait a bit though. The install might be more than I can do directly. Sometime soon I'll meet at pen show with one of our more computer savvy players.

regards

david

Thanks David!! Hope is not a big trouble for you!!

Best
Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

#9 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Coming back at this issue, how about a trial David? Posted Image

It´s really very handy to have...

Best regards
Vasco

#10 writingrav

writingrav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Just seeing this thread. Was anything ever resolved. I use Taptalk all through the day on other forums and would love to be able to access FPN through it.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Just seeing this thread. Was anything ever resolved. I use Taptalk all through the day on other forums and would love to be able to access FPN through it.

Soon I hope.

I'm not familiar with the setup, but one of the Admins at our neighbor FPgeeks offered to help. I've been swamped the last couple months. In fact I have not updated my sales site despite having a few hundred nifty old pens restored already and waiting to list. I'm hoping to play with Tapatalk soon. Also probably will update the Invision boardware for first time in three years, though ti will cost us the nice skins.

regards

d

Posted Image

#12 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Soon I hope.

I'm not familiar with the setup, but one of the Admins at our neighbor FPgeeks offered to help. I've been swamped the last couple months. In fact I have not updated my sales site despite having a few hundred nifty old pens restored already and waiting to list. I'm hoping to play with Tapatalk soon. Also probably will update the Invision boardware for first time in three years, though ti will cost us the nice skins.

regards

d

@writingrav: Tapatalk is indded great, I also use it a a lot. Note: we are IN FPBOARD/FPNUTS not FPN....Posted Image

David,

Great news!!! You will see that tapatalk is great to use FPNUTS on the go and will increase our web use. Hope to hear news from this when you have the time. If you need some help, please let me know!

Edited by piscov, 31 August 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users