#1 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hi all,

I have a Parker 51 with a Rolled Gold cap, with the converging lines design.

I'm not wild about the gold cap - I'm more a brushed steel kinda guy - but the nib on this pen is a beauty (it's a medium oblique, and I like it VERY much), so I'd like to try and sort the cap out - I'm getting fed up with pulling the inner off every time I take the cap off!

So, I'm looking for a fitting clip and jewel, or a replacement cap. I tried a lustraloy cap on it, but it didn't quite fit, so I'm assuming I'm better off replacing the clip and jewel. Is this the case?

Does anyone know roughly what I'll be paying for the clip and jewel?

Best wishes

Robin
My prints and cards: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inkysloth

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi all,

I have a Parker 51 with a Rolled Gold cap, with the converging lines design.

I'm not wild about the gold cap - I'm more a brushed steel kinda guy - but the nib on this pen is a beauty (it's a medium oblique, and I like it VERY much), so I'd like to try and sort the cap out - I'm getting fed up with pulling the inner off every time I take the cap off!

So, I'm looking for a fitting clip and jewel, or a replacement cap. I tried a lustraloy cap on it, but it didn't quite fit, so I'm assuming I'm better off replacing the clip and jewel. Is this the case?

Does anyone know roughly what I'll be paying for the clip and jewel?

Best wishes

Robin

Hi Robin,

Your post suggests some added charm, but also challenge, for your Parker 51.

Rolled Gold cap suggest English origin (USA pens in that color were "gold filled" or solid gold). The funky nib, vs the typical bland fine or medium found on the vast majority of USA_made pens also correlates to English origin.

Replacement 51 caps in general are pretty easy, though English origin caps are tougher.

I don't quite follow your problem with your cap. What is not working right?

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Usually the cap clutch will prevent the cap liner from pulling out. Do you have a '60s 51 with clutch "fingers" (like the inside of a Parker 45 cap) instead of the earlier window clutch? The clutch fingers will come out with the inner cap, while the window clutch requires a special tool to remove before the inner cap will come out.
A lustraloy cap should fit. If it seemed too big, you may have the late injection-molded 51 Mk III which resembles the 61 in shape or an uncommon English 51 that is still made of milled acrylic but is the slightly smaller diameter of the 61 and the injection molded Mk III 51. That English 51 will have a very narrow clutch ring between the barrel and hood and a shallow "51" engraved/stamped on the barrel. 61 clip on this variety.

#4 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hi both,

Yes, it's an English 51 - and the Lustraloy cap I tried on this one was also made in England.

The inner cap does indeed have clutch fingers, rather than windows. There's no marking on the barrel at all - all the marking is in the cap (which says PARKER 1/10 12 Ct R. GOLD. MADE IN ENGLAND) and filler (which says PARKER "51" TO FILL PRESS RIBBED BAR FIRMLY 4 TIMES HOLDING PEN POINT DOWN, WIPE POINT WITH SOFT TISSUE)

Posted Image
Parker 51 showing cap innards by Inkysloth, on Flickr

It has the rounded barrel end I'd associate with Mk I 51s, and not the very narrow clutch ring. It has a small breather hole in the end of the barrel.

Is this then the wrong cap inner?

Best wishes

Robin

#5 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

Yes, you just need a clip, clip screw, and jewel, as long as the clip screw threads at the end of the inner cap aren't stripped. That late style of inner cap could be hard to find. If you can't find the parts in England, try parker51.com

Edited by matt, 01 May 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#6 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Yes, you just need a clip, clip screw, and jewel, as long as the clip screw threads at the end of the inner cap aren't stripped. That late style of inner cap could be hard to find. If you can't find the parts in England, try parker51.com

Thanks :) The inner cap thread looks as though its still good, so I'm hoping that means it *is* good.

I've lost track of who I've emailed asking about parts now... I think I need to set up a spreadsheet or something!

I'll check Parker51.com in hope, otherwise I'll be continuing to scour ebay for bits in hope.

Best wishes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users