Photo

Safest polish to use on hard rubber filigree pens?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pen piddler

pen piddler

journeyman

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hello, everybody. I'd like to know what the safest polish is to use on hard rubber pens and filigree overlays such as Waterman's 452, 0552, 554, etc.? I've been collecting for some time now, but decided not to polish my overlays to preserve the finish and also allow a nice patina to appear. During those years I learned that not all sterling pens will develop a nice, even patina, so now I've decided to gently polish the pens that haven't developed a rich patina. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hello, everybody. I'd like to know what the safest polish is to use on hard rubber pens and filigree overlays such as Waterman's 452, 0552, 554, etc.? I've been collecting for some time now, but decided not to polish my overlays to preserve the finish and also allow a nice patina to appear. During those years I learned that not all sterling pens will develop a nice, even patina, so now I've decided to gently polish the pens that haven't developed a rich patina. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Given the pens you describe and your goal for them (remember, "first do no harm"), I'd consider using just a light touch with a jeweller's polishing cloth. Ron Zorn might carry some under the Sunshine brand, iirc. These also will have less impact on recessed areas, giving nice contrast between shiny and still-oxidized. Making the damn things glow all over just seems so... wrong ;)

best regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 pen piddler

pen piddler

journeyman

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi,

Given the pens you describe and your goal for them (remember, "first do no harm"), I'd consider using just a light touch with a jeweller's polishing cloth. Ron Zorn might carry some under the Sunshine brand, iirc. These also will have less impact on recessed areas, giving nice contrast between shiny and still-oxidized. Making the damn things glow all over just seems so... wrong ;)

best regards

david

Hi, David. Thank you very much for your prompt response! The contrast you mentioned makes sense to me.

#4 pen piddler

pen piddler

journeyman

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hi,

best regards

david

Hi, David. Thank you very much for your prompt response! The contrast you mentioned makes sense to me.

Hey, David, I want to thank you again for the tip! I contacted Ron and ordered one of them from him.

#5 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Yes- I'd use the jeweler's cloth. Getting into a polish paste (Simichrome, etc) will tend to leave gunk residue in hard to reach places on those pens in the recessed areas. Go with the cloth, as David I indicated.

#6 pen piddler

pen piddler

journeyman

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yes- I'd use the jeweler's cloth. Getting into a polish paste (Simichrome, etc) will tend to leave gunk residue in hard to reach places on those pens in the recessed areas. Go with the cloth, as David I indicated.

Thanks. It should be delivered this week. I'll post a pic of one of the nicest sets I've owned after I clean it up a bit. I'm really not concerned about leaving residue when using a paste because I use it sparingly. If I'm going to polish something with intricate detail I polish something else first like a newer pen or a pocket knife. After the polish area of the cloth turns dark and no paste is visible I'll go ahead and polish the more detailed item with no chance of leaving residue. My main concern is not so much the overlay, but the long term effects of the polish on the hard rubber. Thank you very much for your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users