7 replies to this topic

#1 RichKen

RichKen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

I noticed that my Akkerman Het Zwarte Pad has some floaters on the surface of the ink.

Posted Image

Is it the infamous STB? Comments / recommendations. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Thank you.

Regards, Richard

Edited by RichKen, 13 May 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

I always thought of SiTB as clumps and lumps that actually formed in the pool of ink itself, kind of like a thickening. This looks exactly like mold that grows on the surface of liquids; I remember a bottle of maple syrup that looked like that. Either way, it isn't a value-added bonus, that's for sure.

#3 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

If it were me, I wouldn't put any of that in a pen.

#4 RichKen

RichKen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I always thought of SiTB as clumps and lumps that actually formed in the pool of ink itself, kind of like a thickening. This looks exactly like mold that grows on the surface of liquids; I remember a bottle of maple syrup that looked like that. Either way, it isn't a value-added bonus, that's for sure.

I've seen maple syrup like that. I've forwarded the pict to Akkerman for an opinion. The ink has been behaving well otherwise. Purchased it July 2012 as part of a FPNer group buy.

#5 RichKen

RichKen

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

I've seen maple syrup like that. I've forwarded the pict to Akkerman for an opinion. The ink has been behaving well otherwise. Purchased it July 2012 as part of a FPNer group buy.

Hi folks,

I'm old enough to remember telephone party lines. When I answered my phone ( a landline ) Monday morning I was somewhat slow to realize the call was from Paul Rutte @ P.W. Akkerman Den Haag. A call from Den Haag was a real first for this country boy.

I sent the pict in this post to Paul for his comments as had been suggested. A good suggestion. Thank you. Really did not expect a phone call in response. That is excellent customer service - make note #1 of that guys and gals.

Paul and I chatted regarding the ink - I like it, Yes the bottle appears less than full because I've been using it daily, I like the ink, there has been no instances of this occurring in Paul's or my other inks. I don't dip my nibs in other's ink if you know what I mean.

To quote an email from Paul in followup to our conversation - "As discussed this morning I will send you a new bottle with our black ink. It is a mystery why you (sic) ink has mold on it, we have never had any problems before. All the inks I have here are perfect, it has to be contaminated in any (sic) way, and maybe it stood in the sun?"

Well, as the photo shows the ink and bottle are displayed on a shelf on my desk in front of a window with blinds usually adjusted to lessen the direct southern exposure glare. I really like seeing that bottle every day. So could too much sunlight, even indirect, be the cause?

I was taken aback by the offer of a replacement bottle. Any color was offered - yes I prefer black.That is excellent customer service - make note #2 of that guys and gals.

So for those that ordered that magical bottle and ink - fear not - This is not happening at the source and shouldn't be happening to your ink.

Disclaimer if really necessary - No affiliation here with Den Haag, just impressed with the product and customer service. Couldn't be more pleased.

I've run the ink thru a coffee filter. The floaters are gone from the surface of the ink. Time will tell whether they will reappear. I intend to use what remains - my jottings aren't all that important. Yes I know - moldy ink, vintage pens, acid paper yada yada yada.... Just living on the edge I am.

Regards, Richard

Edited by RichKen, 15 May 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#6 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

There will be mould spores throughout the ink - the visible part of mould is just the fruiting body, and if you can see it, it will have shed spores galore.

Unless you add an antifungal it will regrow.
My prints and cards: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inkysloth

#7 Brian Gray

Brian Gray

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have a bottle of Akkerman, and the ink has always been fine.

But really, I just bought it for the awesome bottle! Personally, I'm not sure that I'd care if the ink fouled! I'd clean it out and use the awesome bottle with my Waterman or Aurora!

#8 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Be sure to use bleach when you clean the bottle and then rinse thoroughly.

Bleach will kill all the fungus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users