17 replies to this topic

#1 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

I had a bit of a Sheaffer-y weekend. A couple of Sheaffers showed up in the mailbox, and I found two more at an antique store. Anyway, this post is about one of the ones that showed up in the mail. It's a Sheaffer Balance in Roseglow with a Pontiac emblem soldered onto the clip. I've seen other Balances with car manufacturer logos, and own a Vacumatic with a Pontiac Master Salesman award emblem. I've not seen, however, a Balance in Roseglow with the emblem. It's beautiful. Also, it's my first Roseglow pen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

Nice find :)

If I hadn't already found the Roseglow Pontiac Sheaffer Balance, I probably would not have been... under... bidder on that one ;)

We have had some discussion before about 1930's pens carrying markings for car makers.

Parker and Sheaffer 1930's Pens with Auto Maker Markings

Some related items from that thread

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

Love it! :)

Chief Pontiac may not be PC, but he was a great advertising symbol for the car that called itself "The Chief of Value."

#4 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

It's a really nice pen, David. I'm glad you already had one so I could get one, too!

I'd like to find a pen with a Buick emblem. Does anyone have one?

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

It's a really nice pen, David. I'm glad you already had one so I could get one, too!

I'd like to find a pen with a Buick emblem. Does anyone have one?

Hi,

I've not see a Buick-marked pen yet. I do have at home a black Balance with Cadillac markings. Need to shoot...

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hi,

I've not see a Buick-marked pen yet. I do have at home a black Balance with Cadillac markings. Need to shoot...

regards

d

I thought your Cadillac badged pen was pictured in your Pennant article on cap bands. Turns out it was the Roseglow Pontiac pen! I guess I had seen one before after all.

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

I have a Koh-I-Nor pen with a Yugo badge. You guys are pikers.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

Note too, it is the 2nd Roseglow pattern, one found generally only on lower tier slender Rosies. Not quite sure what that's about, but it is one more quirk of Balance collecting.

regards

david

Posted Image

#9 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

Note too, it is the 2nd Roseglow pattern, one found generally only on lower tier slender Rosies. Not quite sure what that's about, but it is one more quirk of Balance collecting.

regards

david

Well, this is a lower tier slender Balance, right?

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

regards

david

Well, this is a lower tier slender Balance, right?

Yep. Noting it is a bit quirky by lack of "Sheaffer's" on imprint, the core pen would be, for that era, a third-tier (#3-nib, flat-ball clip) slender Balance. Sometime soon, I will need to shoot also the two Roseglow patterns next to each other.

regards

d

Posted Image

#11 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Sometime soon, I will need to shoot also the two Roseglow patterns next to each other.

Things like this are:

• awesome
  • indispensable
  • worthy of gratitude.
So, thanks in advance. ;)

#12 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have a Koh-I-Nor pen with a Yugo badge. You guys are pikers.

A couple decades ago I owned both a Koh-I-Nor pen and a Yugo at the same time. Thankfully only one of the two is still around.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#13 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Great pen Brian.

I have a few car pieces but nothing with a Buick emblem. I have a crest set with DeSoto markings, a OS Duofold which was a Studebaker salesman award piece and a Wahl bchr set with Cadillac emblems. The Wahl set I should have for sale in DC, the others are keepers!

#14 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Sometime soon, I will need to shoot also the two Roseglow patterns next to each other.
regards
d

That would be a great idea and it would be even more interesting if you could add a carmine striated pen to the lot.

I am not familiar with the rose glow pattern. I find pictures of it here and there but when looking at the beautiful pen above, I do have difficulties identifying it as a rose glow striated. For my untrained eye it could be a carmine striated as well.

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

regards
d

That would be a great idea and it would be even more interesting if you could add a carmine striated pen to the lot.

I am not familiar with the rose glow pattern. I find pictures of it here and there but when looking at the beautiful pen above, I do have difficulties identifying it as a rose glow striated. For my untrained eye it could be a carmine striated as well.

Oh, I did the Carmine/Roseglow thing like ten years ago.... ;)

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#16 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

regards
d

Oh, I did the Carmine/Roseglow thing like ten years ago.... ;)

Posted Image

regards

david

Very nice picture, thanks! And it nicely demonstrates my problem: the difference between roseglow and carmine striated is quite clear in this picture but when you would place these pens next to the 'Pontiac' Sheaffer pen above ... I would identify the Pontiac Sheaffer as being carmine striated.

So is the 2nd roseglow pattern then more comparable to the carmine striated pattern?

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

I will pull the two different Roseglows next week. At offhand recollection, I suspect the 2nd Roseglow pattern indeed has black lines present, something found on all other striped colors, but not on the dominant Roseglow. We shall see. Stay tuned next week.

regards

david

Posted Image

#18 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Very nice picture, thanks! And it nicely demonstrates my problem: the difference between roseglow and carmine striated is quite clear in this picture but when you would place these pens next to the 'Pontiac' Sheaffer pen above ... I would identify the Pontiac Sheaffer as being carmine striated.

So is the 2nd roseglow pattern then more comparable to the carmine striated pattern?

We can blame this mostly on the poor lighting present in my photograph. The grays in my photographs just don't show up well. If it were in the same light as the pens in David's picture, you would definitely group the Pontiac pen with David's Roseglow, even though they are a bit different.

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 16 May 2013 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users