• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

This picture, dated March 3, 1946, appeared a few days ago on the historical photo website Shorpy.

Caption is "Foyer, Eversharp Inc., Empire State Building, New York. Raymond Loewy Associates, client."

Posted Image

The above is just a preview, which the Shorpy terms of use allow to be reposted, but for the full effect check out the full size version at the link!

Eversharp lobby 1946

Comments? Are you surprised they were retailing pen sets in their lobby?

We know that Raymond Loewy Associates designed the postwar Eversharp Symphony, but this suggests the company had a relationship with him for several years.

Edited by Shadow Wave, 17 May 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#2 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Wow that's really neat. Thank you for sharing!

I don't know if they were selling the pen sets, per se. Perhaps they were just there for display.

#3 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

I don't know if they were selling the pen sets, per se. Perhaps they were just there for display.

There's a cash register, though. I don't know why it would be there otherwise, unless they had candy and cigars under the counter. :D

I suppose in a big office building with umpty thousand workers there must have been some retail establishments. It doesn't look like they were catering to stenographers or anything like that, however.

#4 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

The Empire State Building was/is a prestigious address where a lot of well-known companies with business in New York would want to have a presence. (Wahl's headquarters was in Chicago, as I remember it.) I'm betting this office was primarily a sales staff office/showroom that had a cash register for routine business purposes -- in case someone bought something, of course, but also to handle petty cash needs.

Edited by wekiva98, 18 May 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#5 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Perhaps the cash register was made by the Wahl Adding Machine Company?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users