12 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

This is an interesting couple of pens. By the time these were made, I believe Waterman completely owned Aikin Lambert. However, I don't recall seeing any of the colored ripples (olive, blu-green, rose) that were marked with anything other than the Waterman imprint. One of these is marked Aikin-Lambert, the other is unmarked. Both have A-L type levers.
I wouldn't mind having them, but don't think I want to pay the seller's asking price, for pens in this condition.

Aikin Lambert Ripples

Photo Grab added by Ye Olde Admin.

Posted Image

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#2 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

No, I wouldn't pay that price, maybe not any price, but they're a great historical curiosity. Too bad they're missing the clips.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

This is an interesting couple of pens. By the time these were made, I believe Waterman completely owned Aikin Lambert. However, I don't recall seeing any of the colored ripples (olive, blu-green, rose) that were marked with anything other than the Waterman imprint. One of these is marked Aikin-Lambert, the other is unmarked. Both have A-L type levers.
I wouldn't mind having them, but don't think I want to pay the seller's asking price, for pens in this condition.

Aikin Lambert Ripples

Hi,

I own an Aikin Olive Ripple and believe I've seen the other two colors. One can speculate releasing pens as Aikins (smaller nib, presumably cheaper price) would have been a good way to to dump rod stock after a model/cluster was discontinued. They are interesting pens.

Might not be able to shoot mine in couple weeks.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'd like to see your Aikin, David.

#5 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

I would definitely like to see it too, David. :)

Regards,
Allan

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

I would definitely like to see it too, David. :)

Will be happy to show, but will be couple weeks until can shoot.

Of course, I probably should also shoot my possible heretofore unseen Olive Ripple Waterman variant. Of course, that claim does rather throw down the gauntlet ;)

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

[Of course, I probably should also shoot my possible heretofore unseen Olive Ripple Waterman variant. Of course, that claim does rather throw down the gauntlet ;)

regards

david

Doesn't it always?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#8 Nick A

Nick A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Here's my pretty nice Aiken Lambert "Mercantile" in olive ripple. It is the same size and machining as a Waterman 94 (parts are interchangable). The clip is a Waterman style riveted clip marked ALCO in an oval. The imprint reads "Mercantile"/Aiken Lambert Co. New York/Made in U.S.A. The nib is a plated "Stainless 4" and the feed is narrow, not like a Waterman feed.

Attached Files

#9 Shadow Wave

Shadow Wave

journeyman

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Very interesting! That looks like an Aikin Lambert clip, all right, but surely the nib is not original?

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

Hi,

Here is my Aikin in Olive Ripple.

Unlike the Waterman 94 and 52 done in ripple colors, the Aikin is bandless, though having a typical Waterman type notched cap near cap lip. The Watermans of this sort have gold-filled cap band/lip. The Aikin has chrome trim rather than gold-filled and has a small-for-pen Aikin nib and an Aikin style lever.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to follow...

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

Reviewing the pens on ebay, I have concern they are marriages between Waterman, proper, caps and Aikin (albeit, made by Waterman) barrels.

Review again this image compared to the my pen, above.

Posted Image

Aside from the missing clips, we have chrome trim on the lever, c/w the Aikin in my photo, but with a gold-filled cap-lip more typical to Waterman, proper, pens of this sort.

All that said, no one can claim to know all variants out there. The clips, had they been present, would have helped... one way or the other. Bruce is one of the good guys in our hobby. I've bought some of the true gems in my collection over the years from him. I'm just not sure these pens are proper.

regards

david

Posted Image

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

I will add that the Aikins in the Ripple colors are highly desirable to many collectors; they offer very uncommon variants-- overlapping the notion of Rebadged Pens-- on the popular special Ripple colors (Rose, Olive, and Blue). In my view, all else being equal, they should outvalue the proper Waterman pens.

For fun, here is a montage I put together long ago (a current montage would do better with the pen images) of Waterman non-red Ripples in both 94 and 52 size.

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#13 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Nice pics, David! Suspect you are right that the Ebay pens have Waterman caps. :)

Regards,
Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users