4 replies to this topic

#1 BamaPen

BamaPen

journeyman

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

I came across a Conklin BCHR Crescent filler in excellent condition earlier this week, but did not jump at it although I really liked it. It has the correct nib, writes nicely, and the rubber is not too oxidized. I'm wondering what you would consider a reasonable price for such a pen?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

I came across a Conklin BCHR Crescent filler in excellent condition earlier this week, but did not jump at it although I really liked it. It has the correct nib, writes nicely, and the rubber is not too oxidized. I'm wondering what you would consider a reasonable price for such a pen?

Very tough to answer. a humble #20 in used, decent, unrestored shape might wholesale under $50, retail restored bit over $100. A crisp huge #80 (I think there was a #80) might top $1000. An early slip cap even modest size will carry fair value. And so forth. More data will help :)

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

Depends on the model, I put more on the larger models with clips and wide cap bands ( I just like cap bands!!). Likewise less on the non clip, smaller bandless ones ( because I don't like the look of them..). Price? at a guess anywhere from $80 to $400 or more , at the top end would need to be in pretty good shape.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#4 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Maybe I shouldn't mention my clipless wide band 2NL that was $16.00. Pretty low if you're selling it (though it was at an antique mall... this is why you go to antique malls), but mighty sweet if you're buying it!

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#5 Hirsch

Hirsch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

Very tough to answer. a humble #20 in used, decent, unrestored shape might wholesale under $50, retail restored bit over $100. A crisp huge #80 (I think there was a #80) might top $1000. An early slip cap even modest size will carry fair value. And so forth. More data will help :)

david

There was no Conklin 80 that I know of. The largest of the Conklins was the 75, IIRC, with the big Conklin 7 nib. The Conklin 8 nib was larger still but the pen it came on, the S8, was significantly smaller than the 75. Then again, a Conklin expert will know far more than I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users