6 replies to this topic

#1 Rocco P

Rocco P

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationItaly, Rome

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'd like to tap into the collective wisdom of the community about the rebuilding of a damaged section lip.
I have a black vacumatic whose section, made of black celluloid I assume, is damaged: there's a good chunk missing on the exterior part of the lip.

How should I go about rebuilding the lip: epoxy mixed with something which would color it black? Which products could I use? Do I need to clean the 'wound' first, by removing more material?

Thanks for any assistance.

--

Rocco

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'd be inclined to make a celluloid paste from a matching donor section and over time add material into the chip. This is a long and slow process. If it is celluloid add some camphor to the paste.

#3 Hirsch

Hirsch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

The section is almost certainly hard rubber, not celluloid. Best practice would be to find a replacement section, if possible. You can try some sort of repair to the lip, assuming the section is functionally intact, but IMO it would probably not be worth the effort involved.

#4 Rocco P

Rocco P

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationItaly, Rome

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for your input.
I have a replacement section that needs only to be very slightly turned down to be a good match, but I'd like to try a repair nonetheless. One day the supply of original parts will dwindle down to nothing

--

Rocco

#5 Makas

Makas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hello
I would go with FarmBoy! I don't think the vac ever had a rubber section but I could be wrong. One other option is if you have a lathe just turn the lip down. It won't be perfect but it will work. I say give it a shot however you want to if you have the backup section incase it won't work or you just don't want to hold off long enough to build it up. Just an FYI I did have one of the sections burst into flames on me a when I first started to repair them so that one wasn't rubber.
Good luck

#6 Rocco P

Rocco P

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationItaly, Rome

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I've gathered enough black celluloid dust through the sacrifice of a blind cap from my parts bin and I've begun to rebuild the lip. Time will tell whether it'll hold or not.

--

Rocco

#7 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hirsch, USA-made Vacs normally had celluloid sections, usually with a thin hard rubber liner. Many Canadian Vacs did have BHR sections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users