7 replies to this topic

#1 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

Normally, I just shake my head at the price of some modern pens. The filling systems, feeds, and nibs are so basic in some $1000+ pens, and I can't really understand the attraction. I mean, really at about $400 the technical abilities of a pen top out, and from there its all about the plastic tube and jewelry (and marketing campaign) that the pen is fitted in.

But if that's what someone wants to pay for a modern pen, its no matter to me.

Until this. Really? REALLY?

Doesn't there have to be some sort of underlying basis for cost besides an artificial scarcity (another thing that irritates me about these modern "limited editions")?

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#2 Rocco P

Rocco P

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationItaly, Rome

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Rarity is everything for vintage pens too. For the price of a plum 51 you can buy three burgundy ones and it's the same pen at essentially the same color.

That said, 600$ for a modern injection molded 10$ pen ?

--

Rocco

#3 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

The Savannah Green Lamy Safari tend to attract a high price relative to it's original cost.

To be fair (I can't believe I'm defending a Lamy), that particular pen came out in 1980 before Limited Editions ran rampant. It was one of the three original colors of Lamy Safaris and apparently made till the mid 1980's.

There are a lot of people who collect all colors of the Lamy Safaris and that particular pen is one of the hardest to find.

#4 Sir. Ebaysalot

Sir. Ebaysalot

journeyman

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park, NY

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

A Lamy Safari for $680+, a sight I never thought I would see. I can't understand why someone who is willing to spend that kind of money on a pen would spend it on a Safari. As they say, to each his own.....

#5 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Blech, it isn't even an attractive pen! (In my opinion.) And I agree, I do not get the cost of most modern pens. And find the "limited edition" forced scarcity thing obnoxious as all get out.

#6 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

A Lamy Safari for $680+, a sight I never thought I would see. I can't understand why someone who is willing to spend that kind of money on a pen would spend it on a Safari. As they say, to each his own.....

$790 Bucks! Can probably get antique or uncommon vintage for that kind of cash. Then again, I think modern pens stink on ice, so I'm biased.

Also love poking fun at the "Cult of Lamy" folks ever since I found topic about Safari colors here .

Call me a pen history snob-- but as pointed out-- this pen is only 33 years old. A whopping 645 posts about it in *pen history*?

Pink, magenta, or mauve? Lets just call it purple & also call it a day.

Seriously, I wonder how many colors the human eye can actually see & how many are just marketing gimmicks?

Yellow or Saffron? In pen history...:blink:

Like you said, "To each his own." No accounting for taste I guess. Hope winner enjoys his or her $800 pen! : )

Blech, it isn't even an attractive pen! (In my opinion.) And I agree, I do not get the cost of most modern pens. And find the "limited edition" forced scarcity thing obnoxious as all get out.

Heh! It looks like a regulation army issue OD green (olive drab.)

Limited edition pens in cammo anyone?

Kind of gives new spin on "pen" & "hunting." : D

--Bruce

#7 dr.grace

dr.grace

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

$790 Bucks! Can probably get antique or uncommon vintage for that kind of cash. Then again, I think modern pens stink on ice, so I'm biased.

Also love poking fun at the "Cult of Lamy" folks ever since I found topic about Safari colors here .

Call me a pen history snob-- but as pointed out-- this pen is only 33 years old. A whopping 645 posts about it in *pen history*?

Pink, magenta, or mauve? Lets just call it purple & also call it a day.

Seriously, I wonder how many colors the human eye can actually see & how many are just marketing gimmicks?

Yellow or Saffron? In pen history...:blink:

Like you said, "To each his own." No accounting for taste I guess. Hope winner enjoys his or her $800 pen! : )

Heh! It looks like a regulation army issue OD green (olive drab.)

Limited edition pens in cammo anyone?

Kind of gives new spin on "pen" & "hunting." : D

--Bruce

I basically agree. But I guess the same thing could be said of the Parker 51 colors. Burgundy? Let's call it plum.

All of us collectors essentially have the same disease, just different manifestations.

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

To be fair (I can't believe I'm defending a Lamy)...

Live down this you will not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users