6 replies to this topic

#1 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth, New Zealand

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

I've been very lucky, given my lack of expertise, with the pens I have bought on auction sites. But this one has got me beat and I wonder if anyone can shed some light.
I bought it (for too much) as a "Conway Stewart" with no further details or indication of condition. On delivery, the tip of the nib was fractured and actually broke off while I was fiddling with it.

The barrel by itself screws securely into the cap, but if I fit the section, it does not, only closing by about 1/4 turn.
So I am wondering if the section is too long. Or the inner cap is too short. Or the cap is not the original one. I guess any of these could explain why the nib broke and it won't screw together properly. .
Anyway I am at a loss and would appreciate any insights.
The cap is 60mm long and the barrel 85mm. The section is 15mm. The barrel imprint is basically obliterated but I can just about make out the words "THE CONWAY PEN", nothing else

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by johnmc2, 01 September 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

I think this is a case of mismatched barrel and cap. The cap appears to be from a 24 pen but the barrel doesn't look the right shape for a 24 barrel, which would taper rather more at the end. I would guess the barrel is from a 757, these pens were the first to be available in the same hatched materials as the 1950s pens.

Andy

Edited by AndyR, 01 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#3 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

It looks to me like someone has attempted to replace the nib with an earlier nib and it is too large for the section. The result is that it is sticking out too far and fouling the cap when it is screwed down.

Equally it may have been refitted in the wrong place. Often when refitting the nib and feed if you twist it into the section you can feel tight spots where the section has distorted over time where the original nib and section were fitted.

#4 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

It looks to me like someone has attempted to replace the nib with an earlier nib and it is too large for the section. The result is that it is sticking out too far and fouling the cap when it is screwed down.

Equally it may have been refitted in the wrong place. Often when refitting the nib and feed if you twist it into the section you can feel tight spots where the section has distorted over time where the original nib and section were fitted.

You can test this easily by removing the nib - if the section is hitting the internal blind cap first, the cap still won't screw on without the nib. If it does screw on properly, resetting the nib lower down may help.

Either way, I still think it is a 757 barrel - apart from the lack of the tapering end of a 24, the section is not the right profile for a 24 either - but if the above does cure your problem, you may still end up with a usable pen.

Andy

#5 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth, New Zealand

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I've checked, and it is the section that is stopping the barrel from going in fully, but on the other hand that didn't stop the nib from fouling either, so probably both points correct. The nib is a CS3. Now going to have to be reground or something.
Andy, it's useful to know the barrel is probably a 757. I had not come across this model before. I thought the cap was probably from a 24 so it's good to have that confirmed as well. The barrel is slightly distorted and darker than the cap so I had assumed it was older.
I guess I will put it to one side until i can find matching parts, or use what's there for another project.
Cheers
John.

#6 Readymade

Readymade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

The section doesn't look like a CS one...

About the nib tipping -- does CS nib tipping tend to be less durable? Bought a few unrestored ones from different sellers and under examination all of them had pitted or rough tipping. Not a representative sample but I was wondering all the same.

Edited by Readymade, 03 September 2013 - 01:20 AM.

Singapore Fountain Pens Lovers - Facebook; Mailing list ; FAQ

#7 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

The section doesn't look like a CS one...

About the nib tipping -- does CS nib tipping tend to be less durable? Bought a few unrestored ones from different sellers and under examination all of them had pitted or rough tipping. Not a representative sample but I was wondering all the same.

I think the section would be fine for a 757. It is one of many section profiles that CS used over the years, this shape was probably most common in the second half of the 1930s.

CS did have a problem with failure of iridium tips in 1958, when they changed from a hand welding to a machine welding process (see fuller account in 'Fountain Pens for the Millions') but otherwise I don't believe the quality of tipping was ever a particular issue.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users