Photo

Off Catalogue/Proto Parker monsters from Janesville Hoard.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Looks downright Demi-esque!

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#22 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

Looks downright Demi-esque!

Tim

Yeppers, with a twist.

The key to the Parker 51 in this thread is that it is a vac-fill truly slender  Demi (smaller of the two pens made at any one time.

Demis were intro'd in the mid-late 1940's, not long before the vac-fill pen gave way to the Aerometric.

Vac-fill Demis had short barrel and short  metal ncap but were normal diameter pens.  Hood and Blind cap were normal length. Indeed, marriages are made when people plop standard caps onto the short Demi pens.

Later 1948+ Aerometric pens in Demi are actually more slender than standard pens, not just shorter.

The pen in the first post is a vac-filler. Yet it is a slender pen.  Standard caps won't physically fit properly.  The cap itself is short and slender with a cap-band that is not the usual "stacked coin"/"Jeweler's style" cap-band seen on the standard. It is done in higher relief and has narrower flanking smooth areas. 

I showed the pens to several fellows at the Ohio Pen Show who play with this series even more than I do.  At risk of misquoting and/or misrecalling...  Ernesto, Tim Laros, David Nishimura, Dan Zazove  Don Hiscock had not seen one before like this. There be yer gravitas ;)

And, too, this shows yet another of the charms of attending a big pen show, the chance to discuss interesting pens in person with serious fellow collectors.

Had a sound preliminary chat  at Ohio about selling it.  I generally hang onto oddities, but 51's I do not collect with the same intensity as I do some series, and I can see letting this one eventually move to a more serious 51 collector's collection.  But, I want to keep it a bit longer and I already did promise right of first refusal to a serious 51 collector who plays at Fountain Pen Board, which, I guess, reveals one of the charms of playing at Fountain Pen Board, you get to be first to know I have one or another pen  ;)

parker51prototypeTweak850b.jpg

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#23 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

For first time since grabbing this collection, I had chance to sit down and peruse leisurely.  Eranowitz was down visiting and wanted a closer look. Go figure more off-catalogue (prototype?) material turned up.

Parker VP, the Very Personal. This one though with lined barrel and atypical nib shape. I might actually have owned one like this before, albeit in black.

Just some of the stuff turning up...

parkerVP_lined_prototype_redsharp.jpg

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#24 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

In a tray of Parker 51's lurked a vac-fill black pen with sterling cap.   The barrel imprint I found interesting.

parker51_prototype_barrel_collector_lot1

regards

David

Posted Image

#25 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

For first time since grabbing this collection, I had chance to sit down and peruse leisurely.  Eranowitz was down visiting and wanted a closer look. Go figure more off-catalogue (prototype?) material turned up.

Parker VP, the Very Personal. This one though with lined barrel and atypical nib shape. I might actually have owned one like this before, albeit in black.

Just some of the stuff turning up...

parkerVP_lined_prototype_redsharp.jpg

regards

David

I love VP's, but this is a treasure!
Congrats on this fantastic find.
Christof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users