7 replies to this topic

#1 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

A recent addition to my collection is this lovely Luxor.

I don´t have much information of this brand. Over the past I´ve seen some Luxor pens, but never one that I consider that interesting that would make me buy it. So I must confess I was never interesting in researching more about this brand. That has changed now!!

Recently, when I saw this pen, I jumped on it as I was amazed by the luxury details and mint condition. I just love the celluloid that recalls me some Whal-Eversharps and the total quality and lovely design of the pen. Built almost all in celluloid it has the cap top made of Ebonite with a metal inlay.

The dual stage piston mechanism is very well made and works perfectly, allowing this small pen to fill with a considerable amount of ink. The shaft is very thin but is sturdy, It looks to be made of ebonite.

Some details are simply wonderful:
The rings, the metal top cap with he brand name, the inkwindow and the two tone 14k first quality nib.

Also rather interesting for me is that this is a German made pen but all engravings are in English. This makes me think that t was a "to export pen"

Here are some pictures.
Would love some inputs about this brand.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and thanks in advance for any help!

Vasco

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#2 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

The pen is stunning

#3 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

G'day Vasco ;)

I agree with Widget... a stunning pen, and with its paperwork and box.
It is a lovely colour too, and the difference between pattern of the general body, and then the inkview area is a lovely change.

Would I be showing my ignorance in asking if these pens were modeled in style on Pelikan?
There seem to be similarities in areas.

Kind regards - and with an untrained eye :D
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#4 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Nice find Vasco!

I also had a "Grand Visible" once. The telescopic piston filler was made of aluminum. All in all a pretty well made pen.
I will have to go and look if there is a picture in my archive.

Christof

#5 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

G'day Vasco ;)

I agree with Widget... a stunning pen, and with its paperwork and box.
It is a lovely colour too, and the difference between pattern of the general body, and then the inkview area is a lovely change.

Would I be showing my ignorance in asking if these pens were modeled in style on Pelikan?
There seem to be similarities in areas.

Kind regards - and with an untrained eye :D

Thank you!

In terms of design I would place it it near the Whal-Eversharp Doric as it uses the exact same celluloid (or at lest a very similar one). Here is a link to Richard Binder web site ( Hope Mr Binder does not mind me using his link, but the site is one of my references and one of the best out there on Eversharp). Here you can see the green shell celluloid I´m referring. Looks to be the same, maybe the supplier was the same. Using the Eversharp celulloid to date my pen I am convinced is also a mid thirties production as indicated in the warranty.

Onoto also used a not so exact but very similar material in some of their 30'ies pen, I recall seeing a Magna with the candy-stripe type celluloid. (Picture from http://www.penexchange.com.tw)Posted Image

I also have a Wasp Clipper that has a similar looking celluloid to these Onoto.

Technically its more like a Montblanc because it uses a dual stage telescopic piston like the second tier line Montblanc used to make those days, but much easier to service as it is threaded in the back and the re-cork is also done only using that end. The is no need to take the section out..

But this pen as more luxurious details in one pen than any of the Pens I´ve mentioned above.

Edited by piscov, 10 November 2013 - 10:05 AM.

Best regards
Vasco

#6 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Nice find Vasco!

I also had a "Grand Visible" once. The telescopic piston filler was made of aluminum. All in all a pretty well made pen.
I will have to go and look if there is a picture in my archive.

Christof

Love to see those pictures Christof.

Mine is not Aluminium I am almost sure the telescopic filler is made of ebonite. It is black, feels like ebonite to the touch and is not layered material.

Edited by piscov, 10 November 2013 - 10:12 AM.

Best regards
Vasco

#7 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

This is the only Picture I could find....

gallery_19668_246_17508.jpg

Christof

#8 soot

soot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hi Vasco,

I had a Danish "Big Ben" pen that looks like your Luxor. I think during that period the Wahl Doric celluloid was widely used by various manufacturers, but the filling systems varies.

This particular Big Ben that I had, had an alumnium piston shaft and hardrubber housing. The problem that I had was, how exactly do you fit the cork on the shaft since the front part of the shaft does not come off. It is stationery.

7280483402_ff8cfc396f_z.jpg

7280482752_7a49a09000_z.jpg

10923007355_d8408b07f4_z.jpg

10923066796_b04413deaa_z.jpg

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users