• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

I have just spent my entire pen budget for 2014 on this pen.  Now I realise that many members of this board will hate it but for me it was love at first sight.  I would assume it is a jewellers after market overlay but can any one tell me the base pen.  It is adorned with diamond and ruby chips.  The nib is a Waterman No 3

gallery_12816_182_159433.jpg

Edited by Widget, 26 November 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'm sure nobody will hate you for it - except possibly those who may have wanted to sell you other pens during 2014 - you just enjoy it!!

Andy

#3 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Andy I think you have misunderstood I didn't say hate me but the pen.  The majority of pens I see on this board are,to me, very masculine with the odd few filigree and silver overlays.  I know I'm generalising but it seems 'bigger is better' big nibs,, big pens, anomalies all get a lot of attention.  I think you should post some of your Dinkies to address the balance.

#4 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

As you say, I should have read more carefully.....

No time at present to take any new Dinkie pictures, though if you check my two gallery albums you will find several little sweeties in there. Many of the thumbnails have been mangled by the new software but the basic images in the albums still seem OK.

Andy

Edited by AndyR, 27 November 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#5 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Whilst the diamond and ruby chips are not entirely to my taste I can appreciate why you bought this pen - it is in stunning condition. It should also be a very nice writer with its Waterman #3 nib assuming it ever sees ink.

Well done that man!

#6 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thank you vintage penman.  It will definitely see ink if I can just pluck up the courage to open the parcel.  It arrived this morning but I'm afraid to open it in case it's not as gorgeous as it's pic.  I would hate to think it's been air brushed.

#7 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - open it !

#8 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

I plucked up the courage and finally opened the package.  The pen is as expected an eyedropper.  There was quite a bit of dried ink on the nib so I put the nib section and feed in soak.  All good so far.  Then disaster struck.  In my obsession with clean sparkly pens I decided to put the barrel in the ultra sonic cleaner.  A big NO NO.  I lost 1 diamond and the gold on the barrel developed a split and dried ink started seeping out.  This means (I think) that the inner barrel has a crack as well so I can't try it with ink to see how it writes.  It's back in it's box now lonely and unloved.  Lesson learned.  Don't put old expensive pens in the ultra sonic.

#9 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

I hope you can get the pen back together okay. Being a rubber eyedropper I would shy away from using an ultrasonic with any rubber pen.

Pearce.

#10 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Pearce  Why do you say it's rubber?  Were all eye droppers rubber?

#11 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

Many are. Most of the eyedroppers with overlay were earlier pens before many of the other filling systems were commonly used. I don't know that I've come across a eyedropper in celluloid with a gold overlay.

#12 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Pearce  I'm sure you are correct.  I believe it's probably a Waterman 12 or 13.  The nib is a #3.  I think the overlay was done by an Australian jeweller called Thomas Gaunt of Melbourne who was more famous for his clock making.  The good news is I've found a tiny crystal that just fits in the place of the missing diamond and it's hard to spot without a loupe.  In addition I filled the barrel with water and stood overnight in a glass lined with tissue and no leaks at all so if I get time I might ink today to see how she writes.  Up to my eyes in extension cables trying to find enough sockets for all the light up Xmas deccies.  My son (he's a lecturer in electrical engineering) will have a fit when he sees it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users