14 replies to this topic

#1 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

I did something Tuesday that I almost never do -- bought a pen I know virtually nothing about . . . just because I thought it was beautiful. Haven't gotten the pen yet -- the photos are from the auction -- but  I was hoping someone might recognize the maker and could tell me about it. The nib says Waterman Ideal, but I won't be surprised if the pen is something else. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

%2524_57.JPG?gl=US%2524_57b.JPG?gl=US

#2 penguy

penguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Could be based on a screw cap 12 but with a jewellers overlay, however many of the details make me think that it might be a factory produced Waterman.

Section shape looks a bit off though.

#3 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

No, not a Waterman. The section shape is all wrong, and the threads are also different. The overlay appears to be of high quality, with engraving of the same sort found on a number of top-brand American pens. The covered end of the barrel is the tricky bit, though. Most likely one of the smaller East Coast makers, such as US Fountain Pen or Edison.

#4 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

While it's not a Parker 62, the overlay and shape looks very much like one. I've shown photos of mine below as an example. Wekiva's pen doesn't has exposed hard rubber on the barrel and section, which the Parker 62 does not. IIRC, Heath made a lot of the Parker overlays. Perhaps Heath made the overlay for this pen as well?

Parker62Full1_zps809013c7.jpg

Parker62Full2_zps97ab89f3.jpg

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#5 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Speaking as a retired art teacher and not a pen person, the engraving on the Danza pen looks much more sophisticated than the one on the first example. I doubt they were done by the same hand. 

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have not compared gripping sections of late, but the metal to me is at least suggestive of Aikin Lambert, noting too that Aikin's overlays tended not to have brand markings.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

The overlay pattern and the section shape look quite a bit like the Schnell pictured in Schneider and Fischler's Brown book on page 124. 

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#8 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the comments/insights. I'll post any new details I discover once I've had a chance to examine the actual pen.

#9 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

PEN UPDATE: Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though I'm going.to get a chance to see this pen and find out what it really is. The seller refunded my money, saying the pen was "incorrectly described and listed."  I replied that I always thought it likely wasn't a Waterman and asked if there was more to it than that. In a later message, I also asked if the pen would be listed again. I have not received a reply. 

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Suspect he received some sort of an offer. Unfortunate. 

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#11 Paul-H

Paul-H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Obviously received an offer he couldn't refuse and probably off auction as well so he saved on FVFee's

You could refuse the soon to be received request to Cancel the sale so that he still has to pay the fee's for this sale, just to teach him a lesson;)

Isn't it odd how this sort of made up retraction always happens when you know you have just got a bargain because you recognised something about the item that the seller and other bidders missed.

I have similar things happen twice in the last couple of months, one was with a Montblanc 149 that went for a low price but magically was found to be broken when packed for posting and was re listed with a reserve far to quickly for it to be repaired properly and the other was for a Pelikan M1000 that again went for quite a low price but within seconds of my instant payment the seller claims there was an error and it was really an M400. That again was re listed with a reserve but still as a M1000.

They where all UK sales where the contract between seller and buyer is not as legally binding as it is in other countries. Or if it is no one bothers or can afford to take anyone to court as it would be regarded as a petty action and land you with a huge legal bill, even if you did win.

Paul

Edited by Paul-H, 14 December 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#12 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

This is becoming common over here. I saw a set of headlights withdrawn as 'mis described' minutes before completion when there had been little interest, only to reappear the next week with an identical description. This happened twice before I lost interest.

Similarly only the better pens that undersold get damaged before despatch. I assume they are trying to avoid the reserve price charges.

#13 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

It also happens with mechanical watches.....especially  USSR 3133 chronographs.  

Very unethical. Win some, lose some is the philosophy I apply to fleabay in particular.

#14 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

While it's not a Parker 62, the overlay and shape looks very much like one. I've shown photos of mine below as an example. Wekiva's pen doesn't has exposed hard rubber on the barrel and section, which the Parker 62 does not. IIRC, Heath made a lot of the Parker overlays. Perhaps Heath made the overlay for this pen as well?

John, this one's got a Mabie Todd clip (the January 19, 15 patent date).  Is it marked Parker?

#15 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

John, this one's got a Mabie Todd clip (the January 19, 15 patent date).  Is it marked Parker?

Hi Jon,

Yes, it's fully and correctly marked Parker. It's definitely an aftermarket clip, as the only clip I believe you could have gotten for this model would have been the "Level Lock", or disappearing clip.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users