#21 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Thank you, Carlos! From what I've heard, Parker Penman Sapphire is legendary. I really do like my Lamy Joy 1.5mm a lot, as well as my Safari (the one I have left). They are great pens...well, what I consider a great pen as a newbie. Thank you for the knowledge on the P45, I'll look into them further once I can afford one (after I get the mini!). 

Well said. As long as the pen is fun to write with, it's a good pen. 

Thank you!

John

#22 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

After reading reviews of the Parker 45, it truly does seem like a great pen! The flighter finish with a fine nib is still around $100.00, out of my range for now. Anyway, I've added it to my want list...although it will probably be a while till I can get one!

$100, no way !

Unless it is New Old Stock (NOS). 

Be patient and watch eBay.  You can get them for less than $50, maybe even less than $30 if you are patient and lucky.

Just watch the shipping.  There are some nice deals over in Great Brittan, but the shipping to the US can sour the deal.

If you are going to a dealer, then the pricing is much different, as you have to pay their overhead.

gud luk

Well, this one started out plain steel... ;)

pen2601x850a.jpg

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#23 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

Did you make that yourself, David? That's awesome!

#24 ac12

ac12

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, SFO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

....drooooool . . . . . . .

David you are bad for my bank account.

It is hard enough concentrating on 180s and you put more eye candy in front of me.

Was that pen etched by Parker, or is it an aftermarket etching?

Edited by ac12, 31 December 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#25 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:33 AM

Did you make that yourself, David? That's awesome!

Hi,

I wish. I have no artistic talent.  This is part of the Parke 45 Harlequin series, acid-etched steel, made by Parker's UK branch iirc.

I have a bunch in two patterns (can see on the Vacumania site under late Parker).  I could be tempted to offer a winter special on either or both patterns.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#26 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

That pen is absolutely gorgeous. But I'll never be able to afford that, haha. If I did have a bank account, it'd be draining pretty quickly. I'm saving up to get my 3rd (should be 4th) fountain pen, and at less than half the price of that P45, I'm only 1/10th of the way there! haha. Like ac12 said..."drooooooool...."

#27 Daedalus1

Daedalus1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:47 AM

Welcome! I'm a newbie myself, and I wish that I found out how much I liked using fountain pens long ago. HAVE FUN...

#28 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Thank you, Daedalus1! And welcome to you, too!

#29 rpk1204

rpk1204

journeyman

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Welcome!  Great to have some youth in the hobby!  As a side note, I'm seeing more fountain pens show up in print ads and TV ads... It's a fun "sport"... get 3 part time jobs and a Paypal account! 

#30 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thanks! And I'd love to get a few jobs, but I'm concentrating on school right now. During the summer, though, I certainly do a lot of work and will be able to grow my collection!

#31 welch

welch

journeyman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thank you all for the advice! I'll certainly look into the Parker 45's and some other cheaper pens. I am looking to buy a few Jinhao pens like the x750 once i buy my TWSBI mini or Prera. If only money weren't the limiting factor on my pen "collection!" I can't wait till i hit my mark and can buy some more pens and ink.

I bought a flighter 45 for about $40. That was about three years ago, but $100 is just wacko. Patience, and you should find one for about $50 or less.  As mentioned, the great thing about the P45 -- a pen that I think marks the shift from "classic" or "vintage") pens to modern pens: every part unscrews and can be swapped with a similar part from another P45. Don't like the nib? Find another. want a gold nib? Watch patiently, and you'll find a gold nib on a pen that will probably sell for $15 or $20...which is less than the nib alone will cost.

For gold nibs, just look for the silver tip (the "irridium" tip) against the gold. All gold? That's steel disguised as gold.  

#32 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks welch! I'll look into them! And hopefully I can find a good deal on one. 

#33 wolverine1

wolverine1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hello John!!!!! Sid from Ann Arbor here. Good to have you join us here. 

And, I used a Parker 45 all the way through high school.  If you are patient you can find  good ones on EBay for $40.00, sometimes for as less as $30.00

#34 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'll keep my eye out for one!

#35 ac12

ac12

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, SFO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

If you are not fixed on a flighter, I would take David up on his offer.

#36 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

I would have taken him up on his offer immediately, but my PayPal has run dry, so I am unable to at the moment. Hopefully by the time I can gather another $25.00 and put it into my PayPal, I won't be too late!

Happy New Year!

#37 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Your free ink has been shipped today! Enjoy!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#38 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Your free ink has been shipped today! Enjoy!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

Thank you, Greg! I appreciate it :) Have a happy New Year! Now my bottle of PR Avacado will have a friend. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lamy, TWSBI, New, Inks, TWSBI mini, Safari, Avacado, Private Reserve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users