6 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

A few days ago a Wahl Gold Seal in Coral was put up for auction on eBay.  The pen had some problems - mainly severe corrosion of some sort to the hardware on the cap.  Oddly the metal on the barrel seemed to be fine.  In addition, the pen wasn't working - but that didn't concern me much.  Other than the corrosion the pen appeared to be in great condition.  The "M" on the feed still had its white color intact. Here is a picture of it:

gallery_6983_116_107033.jpg

So, I bid and won the pen.  I got it in the mail today.  The corrosion was pretty bad, but looking at the pen other than that it was great.  The personal point, when I unscrewed it showed that it almost certainly had never been inked at all.  So I attacked it with a soft cloth and Simichrome.  The corrosion was so thick, I even used a small file on some of it.  But it finally turned out pretty good.  Here is the pen now:

gallery_6983_116_1994.jpg

Underneath the corrosion, the gold fill was still viable.  In fact all the metal is now perfect.  The only flaw is actually a tiny area where the corrosion ate into the plastic a tiny bit on the black cap end.  This is not really noticeable, unless you know to look for it. So the pen turned out to be a bargain for the price I paid (slightly over $200).  Essentially, the pen is mint and uninked.  I confirmed the uninked aspect when I removed the old sac.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

I bought an LED bore light on eBay to look inside of barrels for sac remnants, suss out levers, etc. It cost a lot less than your pen, but I received nowhere near the satisfaction. I am now depressed.

Well, it was NIB. I'm trying to cheer myself up.

(Congrats, Allan! :) )

Edited by JonSzanto, 09 January 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#3 Daniel A

Daniel A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

Nice work!  And those are great photos, too. 

Best,

Daniel

#4 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

Allan  Can I send my pen budget to you at the beginning of the year and let you buy my pens?  I'm sure if I had done just that before I bought any pens I would have a much better collection.  You have managed to source some stunning pens over the past year or so.  I have been following your new acquisitions in amazement. You seem to get them for such a good price.  My only bargain this year has been a Sheaffer PFM which I sold as I prefer the size of a Snorkel.  Well done for your latest stunning pen. 

#5 ljwahl

ljwahl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Wow-- great to see a risk that turned out so well!

Beautiful pen, and beautiful restoration.

#6 Saleem ali

Saleem ali

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Congrats! on your wonderful restoration , do you intend to fill and write with it ? 

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my restoration and my photography.  I am still trying to get the light right on my photos, but I have improved some.

Saleem, I will wait awhile to fill the pen and try it out - although I may do that in the future. I used to use all my pens, but now I have quite a few and can't really use all of them anyway.  So now I think twice before putting ink in a pen that has never seen it.  Sometimes, curiosity gets the better of me and I do it anyway. ;)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users