Hugh Cordingley

#2 Parker51

Parker51

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

Well, some people like high opening bids. Given it is a Lady Sheaffer Skripset, and in general only worth if mint, and in a retail setting about what they are asking, I doubt it will sell.

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

So you've seen an Imperial I nib on a Lady Sheaffer ? Not to mention a clip with "Sheaffer's" on it and a WD. As far as I can see the only bit not questionable is the barrel, still I've not spent a lot of time on these so I could well be wrong.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#4 quinden

quinden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

The nib looks okay for one of the numbered series clipped pens (like a 904) but that clip and white dot are weird.

#5 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

Okay, let's look at the nibs mentioned

IMG_1327.JPG

On the left the nib normally found on these , next the post 1972 Lady nib and last the Imperial I nib. The last nib matches the pen linked to, so it's the wrong nib.

Now the clip and WD

IMG_1328.JPG

Note the pen on the left has WD and plain clip, the other Sheaffer's on clip. On the linked pen the clip is marked with Sheaffer's and a WD is present, so either one or both are  additions.

We know the early Lady Sheaffers where both clipless and didn't have a WD, So this pen has features not seen in the model and inconsistent with Sheaffer protocol, as well the clip is set very low on the cap compared to models (such as the snorkel) from that era.

The conclusion I draw is that both the clip and WD are "aftermarket" additions as well as the nib, a true frankenpen !!

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

Hi Hugh,

Not a key focus for me, though I've owned a few in this range.  We do seem to be invoking a great deal of "aftermarket" here. I don't argue against "aftermarket", but I do wonder about the "how" of it.  The clip seems early.  That and a false white dot might not be so easy to do.  My vague recollection is round ended pens of this sort are Lady Skripsert circa ~ 1960. The section/nib is  from 1980's Lady Sheaffer?

sheaffer_skripsert_frankenpen.jpg

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

Hi David,

A bit more research seems to indicate the nib is correct ( Sheaffertarga.com) and probably the same as an Imperial I , which would make sense and make my original thought wrong. That still leaves the clip and WD, as you say not easy to add after. It may well be a factory prototype, with Sheaffer anything seems to go !! I'd be less suspicious if the clip was higher on the cap ( to accommodate a spring loaded mechanism which would be consistent with a WD from that era) and plain. Suffice to say I'm not going to buy it to find out.

Regards

Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 21 January 2014 - 04:33 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users